Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping captured swarm in new home

Posted by softmentor z9/sunset13 CA deser (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 22:12

Well I took the plunge and bought the suit, boxes and all the accessories. I put my wild bees in the box and all was well for the first 3 days... and the promptly few away.
Any tips for keeping bees in their new home?

Also, a few stragglers have remained behind. What can I do with them? any chance they will hatch out a queen? (I didn't see queen cells but I'm not sure I would have recognized them, I'm still very new at this) Would it be worth getting a queen for them? Other options?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping captured swarm in new home

No queen would be good for a few stragglers, best to buy a package or wait for a new swarm. A swarm wouldn't build queen cell right away. Sometimes when a swarm is hived, some people
lock them up with a screen for a couple of day's...I never do.
Have you checked all your trees to see if the swarm settled somewhere?

o

Thanks Konrad for the response.
Yes, checked around. Even watched water sources and followed bees flight path... couldn't find them anywhere close.
From what I've gathered, the Q must have been killed or injured in the move.
What should I do with the brood comb I put in the frames? Just take the wax and call it a day?

o

No problem..not sure what you mean by brood comb in the frames.
Most likely the queen didn't lay in the 3 day's, if she did then most likely bees would have stayed put. Did the bees build up a little on the foundation?

o

I just took a swarm down late in the evening, actually I wasn't thinking for swarm but when checking my two hives a swarm was only about 3 feet away in a small cherry tree,.. couldn't miss it. I find taking them down late evening in low ligth they will stay put...at least over night, I never had one taking off after,....some pictures.

July 6, 2011

A knock on that branch,.. that's it...that was easy.

July 6, 2011

24 Hours after...
July 7, 2011

I hived them in older combs with crystallized honey, you can see they have cleaned out allot of it, some frames they filled
with new honey already, it's amazing how swarm bees are determent to work very hard,...I love swarms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here