Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bee cluster at hive entrance

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 22:23

There is a small cluster of bees that stays in the corner of the hive entrance. If I had to guess, I'd say there is a "large handful" maybe 30-50.They have been there about 5 days. I know what 'bearding' looks like, and besides it has been rainy and cool for 2 weeks straight. What is going on?

The bees were installed as a new package around the end of May, the second deep was put on only two weeks ago (again, delayed by heavy rain for at least a week). I looked at the second deep yesterday and bees were all over every frame. I did not remove any frames for inspection.

My plan was to put on the first honey super around July 4.

Does this persistent entrance cluster suggest I should change that schedule?

Thanks!
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bee cluster at hive entrance

Marie, as long as they look good and you have new brood in your primary hive body below - I wouldn't worry about your schedule too much. If they are building at a good pace, then you can put that honey super on somewhere in July.
I would go into the hive right before you do this (or the day of) and look through both your bottom hive body and your top hive body and check to see that the queen is laying well and that everything is progressing as it should.

o

Thanks, beegeek
But I'd still like some thoughts about the bees clustering at the entrance. It has been raining for 3 weeks and I wonder if moisture is accumulating in the hive. Are the bees fanning? Should I open the top of the hive a crack to increase ventilaton? What keeps the rain from getting on the frames or is a half inch not important in that regard?

o
fanning?

Thanks, beegeek
But I'd still like some thoughts about the bees clustering at the entrance. It has been raining for 3 weeks and I wonder if moisture is accumulating in the hive. Are the bees fanning? Should I open the top of the hive a crack to increase ventilaton? What keeps the rain from getting on the frames or is a half inch not important in that regard?

o

I find they do in a strong hive with lots of bees on warmer day's, if you have a top entrance or hole of some sort so the
hot air can escape you should be fine, sometimes on extreme hot day's you can prop up the top super one side with a small
shim.

Konrad

o

I propped the top open an inch and the bees no longer cluster at the opening. My bee=lady said with three weeks of rain the water content of the nectar is very high. She is getting other calls about this behavior, and realized the package is six weeks old. She wonders whether the now grown field bees haven't been able to get out to do their thing because of the constant rain. Interesting thought

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here