Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HUGE bee.

Posted by dighappy z7 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 22:29

Earlier today I saw the largest bee I have ever seen.....it was flying around the hummingbird feeder and was almost as large as the hummer that seemed to be chasing it. I seem to remember another post last year about a very large bee that had a nasty bite. I am not sure if the hummer was trying to chase this bee away from its food source or trying to eat it but the bee was truly almost as big as the hummer. Pretty darn scary, what kind of bee was this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HUGE bee.

If you can provide a little more description of this 'bee', folks might be better able to make suggestions.

Note that the largest bee in the world is supposedly found in Queensland, Australia. The female Megachile pluto, an Indonesian bee once thought to be extinct, can have a body length of 1 1/2" and a wingspan of 2 1/2". And there is a hornet in Japan that is said (by National Geographic) to have a stinger 1/4" long. Fortunately neither of those types presently range in the US.

If what you saw is that large, chances are it was something other than a bee.

The largest 'bee' I'm aware of in this part of the country is actually a hornet, called the Giant Hornet, also called the European Hornet, Vespa crabo germana, which can reach a length of 1 1/8". Other wasps and hornets can range up to 3/4" to 1", but rarely get much larger.

Can you recall the color? Estimate of size? Smooth body or fuzzy?

o

Well I searched this site and came up with the name of this giant bug.....it is a cicada killer. Check out the posts from Sept. 04....there are some pics there of this monster bee.

o

Yep, that's a big one alright. Forgot about them, so like you, I did some internet research (Googling...) and found one website (see link below) that, for all their outwardly frightening appearance, made them sound like almost friendly critters.

I'm not so sure I'd take the chance of trying to pick one up like this fellow did, though...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tame Killers?

o

Yes, I've had one nesting around my front porch for two years now and I'd say that it is definitely the Eastern Cicada Killer. Check out this link - very informative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here