Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Bumble bees nap?

Posted by crabjoe z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 0:28

At 9am, bees are all over my cantaloupe vine going from flower to flower. 1pm... They're really at it. 7pm, most are gone but I now see 3 Bumble bees just sitting, as if they were sleeping. 2 were in cantaloupe flowers and 1 was in a cucumber plant flower. Is this normal? And if you, what are they doing, sleeping, resting of did they die from working to hard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Bumble bees nap?

I've seen bumblebees like that, too. I always think they're dead, but they make some movement that shows they're alive.

o

I'm no bee expert, but I've seen that enough times to think it must be normal. I used to have what I suspect was the same bumblebee that always took a nap on my hand railing by my door every afternoon. It would leave after a few minutes, but often napped in the same place (the only reason I have for thinking it was the same one). I've seen them nap in zucchini flowers too, then leave after awhile.

Last year I saw 20 or so bumblebees napping almost all at once on my dwarf orange tree...that I'm less inclined to believe is normal. A few were flying from flower to flower (it was in full bloom), but most were asleep in flowers...that and one other time I spilled orange icing and it put the ants to sleep makes me think orange flavored /scented stuff will make them nap unnaturally.

o

I've seen them all over my chive plants, maybe 20 or even 30 of them, holding on for dear life in cool breezy weather. I thought they were all dead but the next day they had gone, so I can only presume they were having a break and didn't fancy the trip home.

o

they get tired. give them a pet or 2, they dont mind. If it bothers them they just stick up there hind feet as if to say go away! Seriously!

I really like these, most friendly of bees that have replace the honey bee in my area.

Oh, did you notice they seem to prefer blue flowers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here