Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

new beekeeper's update

Marie Tulin
16 years ago

Hello Friends,

I went out last night to check on the bees (I really am fond of the critters) and there was a mess of them hanging outside the hive, thick as thieves near the entrance. My bee-mentor came by tonight, awfully late, but we went to look together. Concluded we needed to remove the top super (empty) and the outside feeder to let in more air. Will also assemble a smaller honey super (do I have that term right)and stick it on top. Think I'll wait for some more experienced help before I smoke them to shift the frames in super #2.

Got my first sting tonight, which was well deserved for bothering bees at 11:30 at night. My bee teacher and I said to one another "only for you and the bees would I be out here at this hour....."

My husband who was initially afraid of the whole idea, is now adept at constructing the kit, and happy to make bee food/syrup. However, I was informed the loosestrife is just about to bloom, and there will be a feeding frenzy ...and the bee syrup will be superfluous. So he's out of job for a while.

I like to just sit there and watch them.

Marie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio