Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees are acting strangely

Posted by hallette Washington (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 1:16

Hi,

I'm a novice at this but I think my bees are acting odd. Some of them won't go in at night and they are milling around but not going anywhere in or out. Sometimes I'll see groups of them on the ground during the day with their heads together like they're in a conference or something.

Could this be a sign of CCD?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees are acting strangely

If it's hot or the hive is crowded, bees will hang out outside. Are bees walking away from the hive? Are their wings deformed? Do you notice anything other than the fact that they are outside the hive?

o

Mine are doing the same. (Pacing, sort of, or just sitting on the landing board). It's pretty hot and sunny here so I'm assuming it's related to the heat.
At first I thought it was swarm related but I've added a second deep super so I hope that's not the case....?

o

I agree with Tony, so far, sounds like pretty normal behavior for mid summer; just their way of keeping the hive cooled down a bit. The guard bees at the entrance will do inspections of incoming field foragers to make sure they belong to that hive and are not robbers bees trying to get a foothold.

o

So on hot summer nights bees like to sit out on their front stoop. Interesting.

o

Hello I am a novice too, but I have noticed very odd behaviour, the (bumble) bees in my garden are not leaving the plants they land on and just sitting there, if I go up close they just lift one leg up as I walk away they drop there leg? why are they not going anywhere? Is this normal because I have not seen this behaviour before.

p.s there are no hives in my garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here