Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to find pure, old or heirloom bees

Posted by stickyburr 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 4:37

i was thinking of getting becoming a bee whisper :) but its rural and not seen any fly aways. i was thinking .. if the modern high out put bees have something to do with CDD or not .. either way where would i find older species of pure bees ie Apis mellifera mellifera maybe from a bee keeper like a heirloom not big breeder. in other words possibly care alot about the bees not just making as many baby bees as possible.

but i need a older bee that will over winter as they will never be on a truck or sprayed. high production is not critical and i will likely have a second hive located on a different spot by time they swarm hoping they will find the hive. i wouldnt want anything excessively aggressive

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to find pure, old or heirloom bees

Well it sounds like a good idea but it's not easy to find "old" bees because ccd is not a desiese it more affected by there surroundings because it affects charateristics and pesticides and depending on your location but there is a lot if factors that affect it.

o

do a search for "bee lining" it might fit the mold as bee whisperer...seems like fun if nothing else. Feral bees are supposed to be less of "puppy mill" category, if I read into what you are saying. Zone 5a you likely are not in an area for AHB. Go for it.

o

I've found a breeded who claims to have pure strains of A.m. mellifera -- in Sweden. You will likely not find pure strains of any honey bee in the US, exept maybe Russians from one of the few certified breeders.

Where do you live? You need to find someone in your area who raises bees. They will be more adapted to your local climate than those raised in the south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here