Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pebbles67_gw

Bees In Tropical Plant Pot...

pebbles67
16 years ago

I have a large banana tree that has grown so much it has broken its plastic pot. The pot is cracked/split down the side. I also have lots of other tropical plants on my deck.(I am an avid tropical plant lover)! I put them outside every spring. The problem is I've noticed on the banana tree that has broken its pot that bees are going in and out of the "hole" on the side of it where it has split. The banana tree is in a 12 inch pot. I have an almost 2 year old daughter and we spend lots of time outside. The bees are EVERYWHERE flying about and crawling around on the other plants' dirt in their pots, too. I've never seen anything like this before. I don't understand the attraction to the plants' dirt. It seems they love it! Anyway, I'm wanting to know if the bees have made a nest in the banana tree I mentioned before. There is lots of in and out activity where the split is on the pot. I water these plants every morning and have just noticed this activity yesterday- LOTS of bees flying about. Any ideas? I don't want a bees nest in my banana tree. Plus, I don't want me, my husband, or my daughter to get stung by them. They don't seem to like my presence on the deck- although I haven't been stung yet. (They don't like it when I water the plants while they are on top of the dirt in the pots. And I'm afraid I'll get stung eventually. On really hot days I water the plants everyday.) I do believe these are honey bees- not yellow jackets. Please advise.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

I don't think that they are honey bees. They wouldn,t nest in a space that small and only gather nectar,pollen,propolis, and water.

• pebbles67
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do you know what the attraction to the potting soil is? These bees are going nuts over the potting soil on all my tropical plants that I have on my deck. I have a lot of them out this year- like 20 plants. I have various tropicals- bananas, grapefruit, palms, ect.- lots of different sized pots. I haven't fed the plants anything unusual that would attract bees. At least what I've fed them hasn't attracted them before. I wonder- if they aren't honey bees - could they be miner or mason bees? They sure do LOOK like honey bees. I noticed last night that they stayed in the banana tree's pots that is split down the side. This is just weird to me. I watered the plants this morning and the bees didn't like it one bit. Any help on what to do about this would help. As I said in my previous post- I spend quit a bit of time outside on my deck with my daughter. I don't want either of us to get stung as there are numerous bees out there. I have to admit I'm scared of them.

Thanks!

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

I wish I could be of more help. I know honey bees but I don't know much about other bees. You can find information about mason, carpenter, and miner bees online. I would observe them and try to determine if they are living in the pots or taking potting soil away with them. A local county extension service or local college science department may help you in identifying them. From what I've read, the male mason bees can't sting you but will try to chase you awway.

• pebbles67
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Tony. I have read the same about the mason bees. I think that just may be what these bees are. I saw an actual honey bee on my phlox hanging baskets I have on the rails of my deck. In comparison- these bees are a little bit smaller. I have noticed these bees ARE taking away the potting soil. HA HA! Funny things. I don't think they are living in my banana tree after all. I just haven't seen so darn many being attracted to my tropical plants' pot soil before. Another possibility is they could be miner bees. But I think miner bees look a little more different than mason bees. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. I don't want to hurt any bee population by doing something stupid to get rid of them (ie: pesticides). If they go away eventually I'll be happy. I'll just take my daughter to my local park to play. That was my main concern- for her not to get stung (well, me too! HA!)

Thanks for trying to help me out!

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

Pebbles, seeing your sign in name gave me one more thought. What if you got some fine plastic mesh such as the kind used in crafts and cut it to fit in the top of the pot around the plant and then covered that with a layer of small pebbles like they use in water fountains? It might discourage the bees and still allow the plant to breathe and be watered.

• pebbles67
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Never thought of that, Tony! I do have something like that that might work. I have little pebbles, too. I use them for other plants I have that are in my house. It's funny- today there aren't as many bees around them. But they sure are going nuts around my bird bath. Thanks for the tip! I think I'll give that a try after dusk when they aren't around.

Thanks, again!

By the way- my name is Kris. hehe I use Pebbles as a sign in name. hehe It's my dog's name. She's a pug. HAHAHA!! Too funny! hehehe

• castlemaster
    16 years ago

Well, I think the bird bath comment gave it away. If it's hot and dry where you are, they are after your water to cool their hive down.

Sponsored