Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bee scaring off wasps

Posted by starla8 z5 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 9:03

Hi,

About a month ago I was sitting on my deck. I noticed some wasps buzzing around the shutters of my house. A few seconds later I saw what appeared to be a HUGE bumble bee come over and scare the wasps away! The bee actually chased the wasps away from the shutters. A few minutes later, the wasps came back and so did the bee! It was kind of funny, actually. Does anyone have any idea what kind of bee it was or why it was chasing the wasps? It almost seemed to hover in one spot for a bit before chasing the wasps (like a hummingbird). I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bee scaring off wasps

Chances are that what you saw was a Carpenter Bee. A Carpenter Bee does look like a very large Bumble Bee, but if seen closely, one will notice that the Bumble Bee has a fuzzy appearance all over, whereas the rear quarters of the Carpenter Bee are smooth and shiney.

While it might be a good thing that the Carpenter chased off the Wasps, the Carpenter is only defending her turf...where she will bore a hole (or holes) into your house and lay her eggs.

o
RE: Bee scaring off wasps

I wanted to go out ladybug hunting, (Just finding them and watching them) but there's Caretnter Bees, Yellow Jackets, AND a wasp swarming around my bush. I was around them earlier and they paid no mind, but now im to scared to go outside! :( They chase me! Not long ago a bee tried to chase me into my house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here