Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

ground bees?

jadeite
9 years ago

I'm new to this forum but post regularly on other GW forums. We live in Albuquerque NM and are gradually putting in garden beds where there was little before. Almost everything has been planted in the past 2 years, most of it this year.

The past week there have been swarms of bees (I think they bees, they are small and slightly fuzzy) flying low around one narrow bed, over an area about 4' deep x 6' across. The whole bed is roughly 4-5' deep x 20' across. I'm allergic to bee stings, and most other insect stings, but bees are noted in my medical records. I'm staying clear of the area, but the bees don't seem to be aggressive. We had ground wasps when we lived in MA and those would buzz anyone within 10' of their nest which was a largish hole.

The bees are active when the bed is in sunlight. There are plenty of flowers in nearby areas, but I don't see them in those places, only this one bed. I can't see any obvious holes or nests.

What can I do to move them away? I don't want to kill them, nor do I want to be stung. But I'm afraid to go anywhere near the bed while the bees are active. I've searched this forum and other sites but the consensus seems to be to live with it.

Once we saw them tumbling around in a small cluster like a ball. We hoped they were swarming and would move off to a nest, but they're still here. There are plenty of bees all over our property which is generally bee and bird friendly.

Cheryl

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio