Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mowing around hive? Need advice soon!

Posted by lives2grow z5IN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 12:05

Our bees & hive are supposed to be delivered this evening. (We just found out last night, didn't think we were going to get them until next spring.) We were going to locate the hive in the orchard, but the guy bringing them said you can't mow in front of the hive "in their flight path". We mow the orchard regularly. Some of the info we've read says you have to keep the grass & weeds down around the hive. I would like to know how other beekeepers handle this problem without upsetting the bees. Thanks for any hive location you can give me! Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mowing around hive? Need advice soon!

I mow in front of mine all the time with no problems. Even run the weedeater. But if you're worried about it, then lay down some weed block fabric in front of the hive and pour on some bark mulch.

o

Yes, you need to have the grass cut down...
You can mow in front of them easily when it's just getting dark and the bees are inside.
Konrad

o

I mow mid day, I suit up like I do when I work the bees run the tractor then the weed eater, they get mad but they get over it but I dont go back to the beeyard till the next day :)

o

Thanks everyone for the advice. Our bee delivery was actually delayed. The driver got lost & didn't have our phone # with him. We should get them this week. We have a spot prepared for them now, & I'm relieved after reading your responses. We have a couple of bee keeping books ordered, & they should arrive this week also. We usually research & prepare a little better for our endeavors, but he caught us off guard by having some for us this soon. We were expecting them next spring. Wish us luck & thanks for the help. Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here