Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees from an old hive to a new hive

Posted by jrrotten (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 13:12

About 2 weeks ago I caught a swarm of honeybees, I placed them in an old hive I had,but the bottom board is attached to the body. I now have a new hive and wish to move them to it.
I know I should wait another couple weeks, but I am new to beekeeping. The bees seem to be calm and happy, but the swarm was as big as a basket ball. I have them in a 10 frame hive and it seems they are crowded. I really don't want to keep them in the old hive as it was setting around for unknown yrs. I think, if I wait 'til evening and move the frames with the bees on them to the new hive and simply pour the remaining bees into the new hive, this should work. If anyone knows a better way, I could use the knowledge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees from an old hive to a new hive

Just set the new hive where the old one is and put the frames in the new hive, you can shake the rest of the bees in or set the old hive close and all the ramaning bees will go to where the queen and their sisters are.

If the hive is as crowded as you say you should put the second box on too, swarms draw wax real fast so you can use new foundation in the second box.

Welcome to the hobby (adction)and have fun!!!!!

o
RE: Bees from an old hive to a new hive

Thanks to honeyman46408!! Yes, I plan to set-up new hive with 2 deep supers and when that is crowded I am placing the queen excluder and a shallow super. The new hive is all polystyrene with mite screen at bottom. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here