Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Bees near house foundation

Posted by makk2 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 13:44

Hi-- this is my first time on the bee board. My husband and I have noticed a lot of bee activity near the ground next to our front porch. Today I was doing some gardening and lifted up a decorative brick, out 3 flew, I lifted up another brick and another 10 flew out from what appears to be a 3 by 3 inch hole in the ground. They were not aggressive and did not attack.

Here's my question. The entrance they are using is about 1 foot from our porch/house foundation. Since the bees aren't aggressive, I'm all for leaving them well enough alone, but will they begin burrowing into the foundation?

I'm in eastern Pennsylvania. I've never seen bees living in the ground before and it sure gave me pause.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Bees near house foundation

can you get a close enough look to tell what they are? yellow jackets or bumble bees seem the most likely answers

o

Tonybeeguy, thanks for the response.

I don't think they're yellow jackets. They're fat, fuzzy and pretty friendly, not sleek and nasty like the yellow jackets I've encountered in my time. Even after I exposed their nest to the world (via moving the bricks) they came out to check me out, but didn't sting.

o

It likely that they are bumblebees. I've seen them nest in holes in foundations. Nest size usually only gets to a few hundred bees at most

o

Thanks Tony, that info helped a lot.

A few hundred we can deal with, I don't think that's going to destroy the house or anything. I'll leave them alone and thank them for pollinating my bean plants.

o

I've recently noticed a 3-inch whole in the ground going under my back wooden porch. Someone suggested they may be bees. But I haven't really seen many except the huge round ones that hover like helicopters around my 7 apple trees I have in my teeny backyard. Would they really make this big of a hole? Or is it more likely an animal...ick!

o

I just discovered same situation. They are ground bees. They like dry dirt and I was told to water the h*** out of them :)

PS they are not bumble bees!!!!!!!!

o

We have the same bees along our foundation near the patio. Our house was built last fall so it's a new colony. With the world wide shortage of bees I hate to spray them, but we can't sit on our patio and really can't eat or drink anything. I filled the area with water a few times, but seem to have multiplied. Too bad they aren't honey bees.

o

We have the same bees along our foundation near the patio. Our house was built last fall so it's a new colony. With the world wide shortage of bees I hate to spray them, but we can't sit on our patio and really can't eat or drink anything. I filled the area with water a few times, but seem to have multiplied. Too bad they aren't honey bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here