Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie: Should I Bother??

Posted by julia_123 zone5/Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 14:11

I have been curious about beekeeping for a long time. I am interested in having a few bees, just enough to provide honey for up to 4 people on a regular basis. I'm getting "Beekeeping for Dummies" from the library, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. :) Do some people just have "a few bees" or after the cost of equipment (whatever that is!) and care for bees, it is sort of ridiculous to "just have a few" because you've spent so much money? Or maybe it's not expensive? I had kind of envisioned a couple of beehives in my back yard and me pulling dripping honeycombs out every day, but keep in mind, I know NOTHING about beekeeping. :) Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie: Should I Bother??

There are plenty of beekeepers who keep just a couple hives. I'd guess most of the beekeepers I know locally have less than 20 hives. Like many hobbies, the costs will be greater than what you produce (honey), at least at first. But it's not terribly expensive as a hobbies go. The starter kit (see the link) runs around $300, which includes just about everything you need to start, minus the bees. Add bees and a 2nd hive (I'd always recommend 2 hives minimum), and you could be talking $600.

But there are lots of ways to save money. A full suit isn't necessary (a veil, jeans and a white oversize long sleeve shirt will do.), assembling the hive parts yourself will save money and shipping costs (only a hammer and glue is really needed for this), etc. Finding a local distributor or beekeeper with new or used equipment could help even more.

Here is a link that might be useful: starter kit

o

Oh, I'm really excited!!! Thanks for the information! Maybe I will try to find some central Indiana beekeepers to see if I can "observe" for a while. :)

o

Julia,

visit www.IndianaBeekeepingSchool.com

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here