Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen Excluder and New Foundation

Posted by cjmones 7 Clt, NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 14:32

I attended Brushy Mountain Bee Farm's webinar on honey extraction last night and a response to a question gave me a tip that I thought I'd pass on and put out to you guys for validation.

The host said that you should refrain from putting on the queen excluder until the girls have built out the comb on the super's new foundation.

That may well explain why my super has sat there completely untouched all summer! I made all kinds of excuses for it: They didn't like foundation because I had left it outside in an unused super for too long. They didn't like the foundation because before I put it in the hive I found a giant gross cockroach climbing on it. The queen excluder now seems more likely a cause than them not liking cockroach residue. :)

Anyway I'm new and I hadn't heard that before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen Excluder and New Foundation

I have never tried a side by side comparison to say one way or the other. I do know from experience my bees do not draw comb well unless there is a good honey flow with or without an excluder. If my foundations are not full drawn by the beginning of summer they rarely are without a spike in the honey flow.

o

Thanks for the reply. This is my second summer keeping bees and my biggest lesson was swarm control - they swarmed in April and I had a really slow recovery. I think I missed my window to have the supers' foundation built because of the workforce reduction and probably won't have another opportunity for the rest of the summer. I'll be hopeful as we approach fall.

o

I don't think excluder is the couse, more lilkely the hive didn't have the population and or nectar source.
If you wait for exlcuder to put on untill the combs are drawn then most likely you will have brood , the queen can lay
eggs in only a few drawn cells.

Konrad

o

I had the excluder on one hive, and the bees hadn't drawn cells after three weeks. I thought the excluder was the cause. So I took off that excluder and on my second hive (package installed 3 weeks after the first) I did not put an excluder on at all. No drawn cells either after tw0 weeks. Drenched both supers in syrup, bees all over the frames. No drawn cells.
We have had weeks on weeks of rain, pouring rain, torrential rain and drizzle. Now in good weather, the gardens are more green than flower-ful. I really think there hasn't been much nectar.
Figuring I couldn't make it much worse, I started top-feeding again just to see if it makes any difference. This is almost as bad as the hive dying over the winter and I feel discouraged, too. Anyway, op, my sympathies and what do other more experienced beekeepers think is going on?

Marie/idabean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here