Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lost_in_boston

Equipment questions from a new keeper

lost_in_boston
15 years ago

Keeper-to-bee, is more like it

I'm getting ready to order and trying to select the materials I need for hives to start next spring. You folks have very kindly provided info that convinced me to go with 8-frame equipment and shallow supers -- thanks again for your help. Now I have more questions that I can't seem to find answers to...

1. Does anyone in a reasonably temperate area (USDA Zone 7) use a slatted rack below the brood chamber? Any recommendations or comments as to its utility?

2. Pine or cedar bottom board? Any preferences?

3. Use of small cell foundation as a part of IPM practices -- the catalog says that bees must be "regressed" to the new size foundation -- since I'm starting completely from scratch, can I just install the small cell material, install the bees and go with that? Or for that matter, is there any advantage to small cell foundation -- any experience with this?

Thanks so much in advance -- you folks are an encyclopedia of knowledge. I appreciate you.

Pat

Comments (4)

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

I use slatted racks in western MA. They're said to give more room, help prevent swarming, get bottom brood box a little farther from the entrance. They seem to be working, but I've never done a comparison study. They definitely do give a little more breathing room in the hive. Pine works for bottom boards. Cedar will last longer.I'll let someone who uses small cell comment on that. There are people on beesource.com that swear by it and others that say it's hogwash. You'll get different answers to any beekeping question you ask.

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

In almost twenty years of trying to be a good honeybee steward, I've never used either.

My two cents:
    1) My original lady teacher/mentor had this philosophy about woodenware: the less used in the hive, the less you have to maintain. This applied to all "unnecessary" pieces of wood: hive stands, landing boards, slatted racks - she did, however, use inner covers. She also had a few hundred hives she worked - so any "extra" effort had to always be multiplied times two or three hundred - thus you understand her take on the matter.
    I've never used a slatted rack but to me, half the fun of beekeeping is kinda "experimenting" with things. So, I'd say "go for it" - try one hive with it and one without and then switch the next year - see if you think it makes any real difference!

2) Whatever is less expensive. Pine will last just fine if it's painted/protected. (I frequently use a light coat of 'Boiled Linseed Oil', let it dry thoroughly and then paint).

3) I agree with Tony's answer on this one. I watched this whole concept get started originally on beesource.com several years ago. I've never tried messing with the 'small cell' idea so I guess you could say I'm part of the "hogwash" school of thought on this particular topic. However, I am a Darwinist, so I do suspect the ultimate answer will lie in genetic selection. As soon as genetic selection pressures force sufficient hygienic behavior, the honeybees will overcome the mite problem (which, the small cell thing is supposed to be addressing).
    I guess I just think if the bees tend to grow bigger, the mites will grow bigger; conversely, if the bees tend to grow smaller, the mites will grow smaller (just a Mother Nature thing going on IMHO).
    Nevertheless, again, it's part of the fun for a hobbyist beekeeper - feel free to experiment, have fun - there is much we still don't know about these little critters!

• steveintn
    15 years ago

A few years ago my big attempt to put in small cell foundation flopped. The bees chewed it up, pushed it aside, and built bigger cells. It's a nice idea with some good arguments in favor of it, but unless you can also buy or luck into a queen from the good ol' days, I doubt it will work.

• lost_in_boston
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your input. Since I'm not planning on having more than one or two hives, I think I'll spring for the extra woodenware and try the slatted rack.

Re the small cell foundation -- the more I read the less I think I know -- I'm thinking until I've got a year or two of beekeeping experience, I'll just stick with the tried and true old-fashioned foundation. Then maybe I'll try to experiment with it. Then again, if my colonies stay healthy, maybe I just won't mess with a good thing.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience

Pat

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company