Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees emitting light from nest?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 16:38

Hello,

I have a quick question about bees nesting in soil/underground. I recently discovered that bees are nesting in the ground under recently cut bushes. Each time I touch the area, they come out and look around, buzz about my ear a time or two (I'm usually running by then) and then go back into the decaying foliage on the ground.

I went out to look at them today and was positive that I saw some sort of light being emitted from their nest. At first, I only saw two or three, but as I stood there, I noticed a fourth.

Is this possible? My friend and I both saw it, so we're not imagining it...I read somewhere that these could possibly be wasps, but they look just like bees.

Any ideas on what this light was coming from their nest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees emitting light from nest?

Lightning bugs, aka, Fireflies? They eat small insects that might be drawn to decaying vegetation, and hide in the day, and when you stomp the vegetation, maybe they are lighting up. Bees and wasps, to my knowledge, do not have bioluminescence.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 11:12

If there is moldy old soft wood down there it could be fox fire.

o

Is Foxfire the same as what we call Ghostwood? Something about rotted wood with phosphorus? I hadn't thought of that, but that is likely a better explanation.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 22:57

Yes I'm quite sure that is the same thing.. Both neat names aren't they?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here