Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runsnwalken

Wasp nest, leave or spray?

runsnwalken
15 years ago

....In my native plant garden by my dads garage under the ruffer by the side a wasp nest is steadily growing bigger and bigger, we have hornet and wasp killer in the house but sense it is a native restoration easement, I would like to leave it to mother nature if posable. If I do nothing how big will the nest get and will it last for more then a year? Will more nests develop? Could newqueens actually Build INSIDE the garage!! its by a lot of flowers and I had the misfortne of seeing a freshly emerge monarch brutally attacked and dismembered, I'm into butterfly rearing and have planted loads of milkweed, purple coneflowers, mexican hat, along with others including Rattlesnake master,Indian grass, switch grass, little blue stem, goldenrod, butterfly weed, joe pie weed, purple pharie clover, blazing star.

I think they are bald face hornets but could easily be wasps too.

Comments (8)

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

To bee or not to bee... I mean, to Spray or Not to Spray...
    that is the question.

Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well.

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

Here's a link to wiki info on bald faced hornets

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

• barbara_muret
    15 years ago

if they are hornets I'd spray - at night! If they are wasps and they're not stinging, I'd leave them... Wasps put a lot of bugs in their nest for the young to feed on, they rarely sting, and are generally good for the enviroment... I don't know anything about hornets, I'd study their "purpose" first and see if there is a way to be "compatable" with them - but I think you'll need to eliminate them.

• eibren
    15 years ago

I would leave it alone. White faced hornets aren't all that common, and they are very interesting to watch. They can catch flies in flight. They are probably protecting your flowers from insects as well--in fact, your lovely garden could be what drew them there--an appreciative audience for all your work!

Just don't go too near the nest or alarm them. If you have to go anywhere near the nest move very slowly and wear a protective hat in a dull color. Don't wear perfume or other fragrances near them. If you move carefully and slowly you can sit quietly about 10 feet from a nest and watch the goings on. Don't make any sound and move slowly when you leave as well.

Also, they do pollinate to some extent. With the bee shortage, nature needs all the help it can get.

• kossetx
    15 years ago

I'm shocked you say wasps don't sting, especially someone from OK. As far as I'm concerned, red wasps are far too aggressive. They come at you even when not near a nest and really like to go for the facial area.

That being said, I used to kill red wasps but don't now unless I have to, like a nest over my front door. I usually spray with a jet of water at night. Other wasps/hornets, especially paper wasps, are left alone.

• agentrmismith_gmail_com
    14 years ago

I don't know what kind of wasps they are, but they're long and red, and they make these mud tube-like nests on the side of my wall under my porch every year. I just take the doom spray to their nests while the coast is clear and then break the nests down later. I don't like to kill them and ruin their homes but i can't stand to have them around since i spend a lot of time under there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest Exterminator - pest control information

• themadfifer
    14 years ago

Do not spray!

Every creature has it's right to live as much as we do!

Take a small metalic container, position it just within the doorway and leave the door open. Fill the container with diesel and a rag exposed. Set fire to the rag and the wasps will vacate. Make sure you do not suffocate them, just enough smoke to make them move the bike to another location.

Matt

Sponsored