Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerbee_gw

Newbie Question: Swarm Cell/2nd Super

gingerbee
15 years ago

Hi all -

I installed my first package of bees in mid-May. Last week, I saw that about 7 of the 10 frames had been drawn out so I added on the second super.

Today I opened it up again and saw very little activity in the upper deep aside from about 100 wandering bees, the start of some comb as they secured the foundation to the frame a little bit better, and some propolis around the top and near the inner cover.

I saw the queen moving around, I saw larva, both capped and c shaped....

The bottom super had 9 full frames and I saw one swarm cell, which I removed - the larva was pretty big, but that was the only one I noticed.

Here are my newbie questions:

1) Should I be concerned that they haven't done a thing in the second super?

2) Should I put the hive-top feeder back on?

3) Should I move a frame from the bottom super to the top to encourage them to move?

Thanks for your help- I appreciate being able to find so many opinions!

Comments (5)

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

Gingerbee, it's helpful to know where you're located - maybe you mentioned it elsewhere and I've just missed it. But knowing (at least) roughly, would help in our answers to you.

As an example, a package start in mid May is a fairly late start for Texas but probably isn't for New York or Maine. A lot has to due with the timing of your local (regional) honey flow (i.e., prime nectar flow).

I assume you're concentrating on getting the hive established this year and not necessarily planning to take off a 'honey crop', right?

Here's my short answers to your questions:
    1) no
    2) yes, maybe
    3) no
    --
    It seems like your queen is in good shape so now the main consideration is the nectar flow. Sometimes in mid summer the nectar flow actually decreases in some areas, if that's the case where you live, I think I would put a feeder back on. This is always the balancing act of, do the bees use the syrup to produce more wax [comb] or will they use it to produce more bees (and thus, swarm). However, if they're just pulling wax now, it's unlikely they'll be able to re-produce enough for swarming to be a concern. I'd say feed and see how fast they take it up - if it's really fast, you could have a dearth of nectar flow in your area at present and that could be slowing them down from pulling more wax.

I would not recommend re-arranging frames in the hive right now.

How do you know it was a "swarm cell" and not a "supercedure cell"? Do you know the difference?

• gingerbee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi
    Thanks for your input.
    I am located in NJ so I know that it's not too late - but I know my package did get a late start.
    I'm not concerned at all about harvesting honey this year - I know my expectations should be low for the first year, anyway.

I know it is a swarm cell based on its location on the frame - it was on the bottom inch of the frame.

My concern is that I added the super too late (though I added it when there were only 7 frames in the lower deep drawn out) and that they haven't had enough time to create comb in the upper deep for the queen to lay in, and that they'll swarm before they are able to build up there.
    I guess I'll just keep a good watch for more of them and hope for the best?

• honeyman46408
    15 years ago

Some times it helps to move some frames up to the second hive body to encourge them to build in it but then some times they just dont want to move up..

• gingerbee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I last opened the hive up on Saturday, and I'll be out of town starting Friday. I think on Thursday I'll check again and maybe move a few of the center frames up?
    (Now I'm all nervous about opening the hive again so soon and about the possibility that I'll be away when/if they choose to swarm. I'm a nervous new parent.)

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

Ok, good answer about the swarm vs. supercedure cell.

It sounds like you added the second brood super at the correct time. If they get a little "crowded" downstairs, that won't necessarily cause them to swarm. In fact, it could be the very impetus they need to start/continue drawing out comb in the upper brood super (i.e., what you desire and what needs to be done). This happens to be the very type technique used when producing Ross Rounds or comb box honey - you intentionally make the bees a little crowded so they'll pull out more honeycomb quicker.

There is a certain "season" where the bees draw out comb - after which, they tend to stop that activity. However, it doesn't sound like you've quite reached that point in the year. If you decide to not put a feeder back on, you may want to consider cracking open the top, in order to help increase air flow through the hive. The bees will post some guard bees around the opening in the inner cover to protect the hive. And even their presence up there may help to encourage the bees to draw out the comb in the upper brood chamber.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH