Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_johnny

Paper wasps in my chair...

Organic_johnny
18 years ago

Okay, this is going to sound strange, but some paper wasps have set up housekeeping in my chair out on the porch (the very chair I'm sitting in right now). This is an upholstered chair, and they're getting in and out where the arm hits the back, presumably the nest is inside somewhere.

So far, we're not having any conflicts... they buzz me once in a while, but I just shoo them, and they go back to their business. My wife, however, is very unhappy about this situation.

Yesterday, I tried just wiping some neem oil (100%) on the crack where they get in and out, and put the pieco of paper towel with the neem in there for good measure. The wasps didn't like this, and flew about in confusion for a while (not angry, just confused), but now are back to business as usual (I can smell the neem, so it's definitely still active). So much for neem being toxic to hymenopterans. We're organic here (will later be certified), so carbaryl is out of the question, and I don't want to use pyrethrum where I sit and type.

Next year, I'm planning to get a hive or two here as eventual honey producers, and of course will be getting a bee suit. So my question (at last): if I'm wearing a bee suit, will I be able to dig around in there and physically remove the hive? I mean, will the cotton suit, veil, and gloves be sufficient to protect me when I tick the little guys off? (I've been stung by these things before when i accidentally grabbed a nest, and don't want a repeat). And will a bee suit protect from YJs as well?

Any thoughts? I'm getting the bee suit anyway, but maybe I'll get it now rather than later if it can really protect from wasps as well.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor