Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get Wasps out of my fountain?

Posted by jess2132000 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 17:25

Fountain is out in the garden but today it was dry since the temps have been so hot the past few days. Its needs to be filled everyday as it does not hold much water. I went to fill it and 5 or 6 yellow jackets started flying around it and into the water. (drinking it)What can I put in the water or should I be cleaning it with something more often?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get Wasps out of my fountain?

I suspect if it's the only supply of water available to them within a reasonable commuting distance from their nest, you're probably not going to be able to stop them from coming to visit the water fountain to drink.

I'm guessing your water fountain uses some kind of electric pump to circulate the water so I'd be careful and not put any spray or chemicals in it that would corrode or otherwise cause damage to the pump.

To help get rid of the wasp in your immediate area, you might Google 'wasp bate trap'. I seem to recall one that uses a plastic pop bottle and bananas as the bait that supposed to work pretty well (I've never tried this myself).

o
RE: How do I get Wasps out of my fountain?

I use the bait bottle and it does work. Have got lots of them this year already. I use sugar water with any fresh fruit like banana or watermelon.And I also have quite a few waspinator nests hung in my trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here