Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodiefighter

Bees EATING Fruit

foodiefighter
10 years ago

Apparently, thee are two types of people on this forum, those that believe bees eat fruit, and those that refuse to. I formerly thought claims of honey bees dining on peaches and plums to be grossly exaggerated. Now, it has happened to me. In my backyard, my flourishing peach tree is COVERED in hundreds of bees enjoying my fruit (yes, I know this is hard to believe, but I will post pictures if necessary). Even stranger? It is the middle of the summer here in San Jose. The only other accounts of bees on fruit occurred deep in the winter months of the fruit tree season. Can someone please explain what is going on and why? I do not wish to disturb or disperse them, just learn about why they are doing what they're doing. Thanks everyone in advance.

Comments (7)

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

I'd like to see a pic or two. I imagine they are grabbing sugar (fructose).

• Ladyn
    10 years ago

(And your Lord inspired to the bee, "Take for yourself among the mountains, houses, and among the trees and [in] that which they construct. [B]Then eat from all the fruits[/B] and follow the ways of your Lord laid down [for you]." There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for people. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought.)

The Noble Quran verse (16:68-69)

• jredburn
    10 years ago

Post a few pictures and settle the discussion forever.

• alblancher
    10 years ago

I've seen bees working the fruit juices oozing from worm damaged fruit. I'm not sure but I don't believe bees have the mouthparts to tear into the skin of healthy fruit.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

It's not honeybees what you might have doing the damage, the initial wound is usually done from other insects, birds or just damage in the fruits, natural cracks etc.. ..then bees taking advantage.

Most certainly, pictures of your bees wouldn't settle this discussion.

• kerk4321
    9 years ago

It is not hard for me to believe at all. The second year after my neighbor started building and setting up his hives, his bees destroyed all of my figs. Before they were even at the picking stage, his bees were feeding off of them. Anything worth picking was already destroyed.

This spring one of his peach tree limbs was dropping over the fence and I saw that they were feeding on the peaches before they were even ready to pick.

I have gardened and harvested figs for 8 years prior to this. His bees serve no purpose other than putting money in 'his' pocket.

I hate to kill anything, but next harvest will be an exception.

• Melissa Davis
    2 years ago

Yes, they do eat fruit. At least yellowjackets do.. this huge bald faced hornet was eating my peaches a few days ago. I left about 5 peaches on the tree for it because even as I was picking my peaches, it just sat there and ate and ate and ate. Seemed like it was super hungry because it wasn't even phased by me. Everyone wanted a picture so here you go.