Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brickmanhouse

Are there Bee Resorts? How can we build them?

brickmanhouse
16 years ago

Hi all!

We've been actively noticing the decline in pollinators in our area the last few seasons-- serious decline in yields from our garden and fruit trees! What a HUGE bummer...

We're not much interested at this point in becoming active managers of bees-- that is, we're not looking to harvest honey or honeycomb or whatever.

We do, however, have a decent amount of land, and we're committed to cultivating it organically. Is it realistic, at all, to just build structures exclusively for bees, and buy bees to inhabit them, and let them live happily ever after?

That is, are there such a thing as Honeybee Retirement Resorts?

From Willing, but Stupid potential Beekeepers....

Comments (5)

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

Interesting post!

I'm a retired person, who decided to garden and raise as much food on my small backyard garden plot - mostly for my own use, but also because I had more time, and less money, needing something to keep up my interest in life.

So - planted the fruit trees that we like, and made raised bed cedar boxes to raise vegetables, planted berries - and from a past hobby - still had available some old bee hives - now empty.

For some reason, perhaps because I have an organic back yard, a swarm of bees adopted my apricot tree. I used the empty bee boxes to house them in - (hired a professional beekeeper). My thinking perhaps was to keep them from taking up residence in our attic or my neighbor's buildings. They acclimated well and we have lived in harmony since then.

This hive has been there for about 3 years. It has 2 lower brood boxes (larger), and 2 smaller supers on top of that. This is the size I hope to keep it without compromising the bees health.

From time to time, usually when we begin to need a jar of honey or 2, I open the hive and remove a small frame from one of the top supers. Then a cleaned frame is added back, for them to fill again.

My aim was not to raise or produce honey for sale, but just to try to maintain a back yard balance - providing a small amount of honey for consumption, and also trying to maintain the hive within this limited size.

Yesterday, I opened the hive (first time in many months) and removed my usual frame, adding an empty to fill.

This past spring, I had the best pollination of my fruit trees ever. The vegetable bed plants - as well. I plant the type of flowers/attractors that bees like - in hopes of keeping them mostly foraging at home. Although, there is a large canyon area for them as well - with little evidence of source for pesticides.

If the bees decided to leave, or swarm - OK - they will populate and start anew - but my hope is that enough of them stay to keep my small operation going.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• castlemaster
    16 years ago
  • bejay9_10
    16 years ago

brickmanhouse -

Lots of folks buy Mason bee houses and re-supply them each year. But chances are - if you plant the things that attract bees, they will come of their own accord.

Find out which ones grow well in your location. In my part of the country, a common attractant is a ground cover mesembryanthumum - (type of ice plant) that is commonly used to hold sandy hillsides, to prevent erosion. Bees love it. It is called Aptenia. Other flowers - such as borage, mints, buddlehia, etc. also attract them.

Borage grows well in my arid climate and re-seeds. It can also be a nuisance to contain, but makes good compost. It is also fed to chickens - they love it.

Just makes good sense somehow to let nature work for you.
    Bejay

• paulns
    16 years ago

We have a decent amount of land as well, and have dedicated a 1/4 acre slope to Bee Heaven. The native plants already growing there are wild blueberries, ferns, sarsaparilla. We left these, and the nice smaller shrubs - serviceberry, mountain ash - and cut down any bigger soft or hardwood trees like birch and maple. Then we dug pockets in the ground, especially the soft ground around roots of the cut-down trees, and transplanted things bees love, that we already had growing elsewhere, and that can take pretty crummy/dry soil: motherwort, valerian, echinacea, oregano, beebalm, thyme. Also sumac. There are some bees around already, We'll see next year just how busy it gets.

• honeyhillframes
    16 years ago

If you are interested in obtaining beehives and/or supplies to make them, you may come and get the stuff for free. I have tons of beekeeping and hive materials to get started with. I am living in the house of a former beekeeper who is now disabled by altzheimer's disease and has left the supplies here.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor