Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did 'my' bumble bees die?

Posted by fairy_toadmother z5 ncentral il (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 23:09

hello! i had bb's nesting in my shed for the second time in three years. i cannot remember how long they nested before a new queen left the nest. is it that time? i haven't seen any activity lately. they were vigorously fanning not that long ago.
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did 'my' bumble bees die?

I think nesting time should be over in your area, I have seen lots of new babies flying.

Where did they have the nest?...one time, they where nesting in my gloves in the shed.
Konrad

o

i was thinking/hoping that it was just the empty nest syndrome!

they nested between the exterior and interior wall of my shed/ old pigeon coupe. north wall, of course! their entrance was right above the top corner of the doorway. very convenient :)

this is the same entrance the bb's used two years ago. i thought they were there later in the season than this. they certainly had more activity than this years. i am worried b/c it has been very dry, it is an old nest that may have disease (?), and there has been pesticide sprayed (limited) and grain form sprinkled on the ground, as well as soapy water for individual insect control on veggies. i know that bees are extremely sensitive. i may just be overreacting since i simply haven't had the time to observe the activity in a few weeks. i have lavendar and echinacea which i know they like. also, lamb's ears which is just starting to bloom. oregano also just starting to bloom. i am not sure if they visit cilantro- pests leave this alone so it has not been sprayed with anything.

this spring i had a queen visiting a box in our garage continuously. i finally realized she was collecting fuzz off one of dh's hunting gloves made of that fuzzy flannel type stuff. i had to stand ground for her! last year, dh sucked a queen up in the shopvac thinking she was going to nest in the garage b/c she kept going in there. so, this ;year i told dh if he is so worried, put his gloves away where they belong and leave queeny alone! :)

o

i think i hear a low humming sound in the wall, but i cannot be sure. i know i haven't seen them coming or going which i usually do. also, some sort of wasp was making too much noise in there for me to be sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here