Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motherwort honey

Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 9:51

I'm pleased to find this forum - not sure this question belongs on it.
a) we want to get a few bee hives
b) we have a 5' motherwort bush growing in the garden and it is bee heaven
c) motherwort is said to be an excellent bee plant

But does the honey taste good? Has anyone tried it? Motherwort self-seeds prolifically - we thought of getting the hives and growing more of it, though there are plenty of other pollen sources in our garden - we grow a lot of small-flowered herbs.

Which leads to another question: is honey made from any large mixture of herbs and flowers bound to taste good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motherwort honey

Reading up on motherwort, I'm jealous that it only grows in more northerly climes. No clue what its honey would be like, if I were you I'd definitely give it a go. Plant tons of it!

o

You know every year I'm gladder that we live in northern climes...except in about November-March. :)

Found this on a Richter's page about herbs and beekeeping. I'm not sure 'strong mint flavour' is a good thing...But then our bees would not be restricted to motherwort...

Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca)
Widely acclaimed beeplant, blooming most of the summer. Very easy to naturalize in waste areas. Honey is amber with a strong mint flavour. Remains liquid for months. Perennial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richters

o

I have it growing in a large flower bed. It spreads like weeds, but is such a bee magnet, you can't see the flowers for the bees. I have no idea where it came from, but I have left it because of the bees. It seems to thrive in almost total shade, full sun, dry as a bone soil. Out of hundreds of flowers and herbs I grow, I've never seen anything attract bees like this stuff. It'll take over your yard if you let it.

Jane

o

Yes - every year it selfseeds like crazy. Luckily the seedlings are easy to rake or pull out. We have it at the edge of the vegetable garden.
Good to know it will also grow in shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here