Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees in back garden

Posted by beespotter none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 9:52

Hi Everyone

Me and my neighbours had to move some wood and pallets in our shared garden and we discovered bees underneath. I've took pictures from my phone, but that is as close as I want to get to them!

Does anyone have an idea what they are. I am fascinated watching them and they don't seem too bothered, as long as you don't interfere with them. They seem to be going under a big clump of grass and then into the ground. Don't know how many there is. They are not a problem, just wanting to learn more.

I've put some photos online and also where the nest is.

Since we moved the wooden pallets, will the bees to too exposed or will they be ok? Should I cover them with something to protect them.

Thanks for reading,

Kind Regards

David

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s21.photobucket.com/user/star-dave/library/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees in back garden

I need help with bees. Last night i was playing with my dogs and their balls went into a ground cover type shrub. My little dog came out crying and rubbing under my chair. I didn't know what was going on until i started feeling stings. I looked and saw my big dog running covered in bees. I couldn't get the bees off him, he was running and whining and rolling on the ground. Eventually i was able to spay him with the hose and get the bees off. As far as i am concerned these bees have to go. I'm not exactly sure where the nest is, except i did see the bees swarming above this ground cover shrub. I believe they are yellow jackets. Please any advice on the best way to get rid of these bees would be of great help. Do i spay the area where i saw them with an over the counter bee spay (Raid)? Please help!

o
RE: Bees in back garden

David, ..looks like you have some nice bumble bees, as long the nest wasn't disturbed you should be fine.
Mama,..yes, looks like yellow jackets, you could try using a garden hose and soak them with a nozzle end for a couple of hours,..they might move on when their nest is destroyed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here