Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valereee_gw

locating my beehouse -- okay near bat house?

valereee
13 years ago

I am setting up a mason bee house and want to make sure it's in the best possible spot. One of the choices is very near my bat house, and I wasn't sure if bees would consider that less-than-ideal.

My bat house is under the eaves of a very sunny s/sw exposure, about fifteen feet from the ground. I could put the bee house 2' off the ground on that same wall, or I could put it 10' off the ground under the eaves on the adjacent eastern wall. This area is about 40' from my veggie garden.

Alternatively I could put it 10' off the ground on a partially sunny (very sunny in winter) w/sw wall 50' away from the bat house wall. This wall is about 10' from my perennial beds and 40' from my neighbor's extensive perennial beds.

Thanks for any advice! I tried searching on 'bats' to see if this had ever been asked before but didn't come up with anything that seemed promising.

Val

Comments (8)

• txbeeguy
    13 years ago

You're kidding, right?

I can't imagine a few feet (or several) will make much of a difference to the bees. However, two feet off the ground doesn't sound like a real good idea.

The bats fly mostly at night, right? And the bees don't. So their paths aren't likely to cross except maybe around twilight (in which case, you loose some pollinators but you have well fed bats!).

• valereee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Um, no, not kidding. Just stupid, I guess. Thanks for the input.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Valeree, you are not stupid for asking that question and although I can't speak for the poster himself we are generally welcoming and polite to one another, especially newbies.

The questions I've asked on these forums probably maxed out the "ignorance" quotient.

You are lucky to have mason bees. Every time I think about them, there are none left to buy. However I do have one big fat hive of honeybees which gave us about 40 pounds of honey this year.

Give us mason bee updates, will you?

Marie/Idabean

• txbeeguy
    13 years ago

Hummm...something didn't come across right. Usually I'm on guard for how something I write, "sounds".

Valereee, I didn't mean to offend(!) I actually think it's pretty neat that you have bats - I've often thought about putting up a bat house or two myself.

• valereee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

txbeeguy, no problem! I was just surprised. :) Glad to know it was just a communication issue between us!

Marie, believe me, I've left it too late, too! They'll be shipping my bees in November. :) But I had a handyman out and wanted to have him put up the house even though I don't have the bees yet, and in hopes that maybe a few bees are already out there looking for a hole!

Val

• Patty_Wy
    12 years ago

I saw this old post and being a new beekeeper myself I was curious how it worked out having the bees and bats near each other. I'm a big fan of bot myself, I live on a good sized farm and we have a ton of mosquitoes so I'd like the bees to pollinate our crops and the bats to eat the skeeters. I too, was concerned about the bats eating the bees.

• valereee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Patty Wy! I actually ended up putting the bat house up under a south-facing eave near the eastern end of the house and the bee house under a west-facing eave at the western end of the house, so they're about 50' apart.

• Palmer116
    9 years ago

I live in south Florida and have 7 bee hives. Every evening right after the sun sets as the bees are making there way home, the bats are eating them. At first I thought they were eating Mosquitos until looked real close and saw they were eating some of my bees.

Sponsored