Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmiller_gw

Bee's going in & out brick morter.. HELP!

tmiller
16 years ago

I am glad I found this site and hope people still post replies. I just noticed that I have bee's going in and out of a crack in my brick. I assume there is a nest inside the wall. I see about 10-20 coming in an out all the time. Please don't get mad but I did spray with wasp and bee killer last night and this morning, but it did nothing. I will not spray again after reading replies that killing or spray is not good. I see there are many people who say I will need a bee keeper to come rip up my inside wall to get the issue resolved. Is this the case? What if I just let alone until winter? Will it still be warm enough for the nest to stay for bees all winter? Any help, more information or video needed, let me know. This is right near my backdoor, porch and grill. Thanks so much!

Comments (12)

• tmiller
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How do I know the difference in bees? All I know is that they come in and fly out. Can you help me determine what kind of bee? Ill see if there is a dead one?

Thanks!

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

In google, type "what's buzzin' in my garden" There are some good pictures of wasps and bees that may help you. If you have binoculars,or can borrow some, they work very well for observing the entrance at a safe distance

• tmiller
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok,
    after many pics they are yellow jackets. What next?

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

First of all, I'd do a little research into yellow jackets as far as whether or not they overwinter and how big the nest will get. If they will only be there for a season, and they are in a place that will not cause a problem, (has anyone been stung or harassed by them) I would let them stay for the season, then repoint the bricks where they are entering, and the problem will be solved. All bees and wasps have their value, and don't always have to be eliminated. I do know that if they are in large cavity, you won't be able to kill them by spraying the entrance. Anyone else have experience with yellow jackets?

• regbowden78_talktalk_net
    12 years ago

They are mortar bees. look like wasps and I know a house where they went thro the air vents around the bottom of the wall/ Try rent a kill and they will spray all the places where they can be.

• Paige Marlow
    2 years ago

I am having this problem with yellow jackets now. There is a round hole in the brick under the window and the are getting in my house. HELP

• HU-465739218
    2 years ago

I am having the same problem with yellow jackets. Years ago my husband filled the crack and they were trapped and eventually made their way into the house. I am dealing with the same problem this year. I am now sucking them up with a shop vac, filled with about 4 inches of water and a little soap. Don't completely cover the whole with hose, leave a little space so they think they can get back in, but the suction of the shop vac sucks them in. It really works, maybe spray after there is no more sign of the bees then seal with some mortar. Good luck

• Dorothy Castaneda
    2 years ago

I have yellow jackets between my gutter and house,my husband sprayed wasp spray and sealed it with foam at night.today the yellow jackets are going crazy trying to get inside they are flying all over the area what should I do?

• HU-465739218
    2 years ago

Dorothy try the shop vac. It took me about a month to stop them going in. I would turn it on every day watching them. I put mortar in the hole and they still drilled through. I didn't have enough in the hole, so after using the shop vac again I sprayed into the hole, put double the amount of mortar and silicone on top, I guess the silicone is sticky and works well. Just be aware if the nest is full of bees, they will want to get out somehow. Eventually I had them in my house, but they were a little dizzy as they did not have any pollen so they basically just died and went to the floor. After a week, (touch wood) I haven't seen anymore around the hole,( fireplace) and so far no more in the house. Good Luck, I know what you are going through.

• Alesha Davis
    2 years ago

Did you leave the shop vac running all day? I'm a little confused about how you were utilizing the shop vac? Need to do something, found their hole at the bottom of my window today!

• Dorothy Castaneda
    2 years ago

I had an exterminator come out and he sprayed some temprid powder in the nest .Now there is no activity outside but I keep finding half dead ones in my basement where there is electrical wiring going through the brick.The exterminator came back and put someone the powder where they are being found.Then I found alot more dead ones .He said they probably made a exit into the house.Im going to call him again.I think all he is going to do is keep spraying the powder so I think I'm going to buy some temprid powder and a duster and keep putting it in the cracks and the electrical hole and hope I kill them all.im glad it has dwindled down to a few a day but I don't like the fact that they are still in my house.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!