Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
double_duty

Number of bees in nearby hive have drastically reduced

double_duty
15 years ago

I live in a normal and typical suburban type of neighborhood. My next door neighbor has a large building in her backyard that she uses for storage and rarely if ever enters or disturbs the building in any way. About two years ago a bee colony built a home in an outer wall of this building. They use a hole that is in the outer wall that is about 2" in diameter. Midway through their first summer their numbers became so large that I was a bit alarmed. I have a large concrete bird bath that they would use extensively all day long going back and forth between my bird bath and the hive. I called several bee keepers for my neighbor. They all wanted too much money or wanted to destroy the bees. My neighbor lives like someone who is destitute. She makes a living by dumpster diving and selling what she finds etc. She is however very wealthy but she will not spend any money. So I finally decided that it was best to just live with the bees. Since they are disappearing all over the country. And since they were very helpful to all of my backyard plants and gardens. And they never disturbed anyone. This Summer before very long their numbers were enormous! Then suddenly about 6 weeks ago I began to notice no bees visiting my bird bath. I used my binoculars and visually examined the whole in my neighbors building. Now where there use to be hundreds of bees hanging off the wall and hanging seemingly off of each other, there were very few! Now there are so few that you could pretty much count them. I checked with my eccentric mentally challenged neighbor and she stated that she did not do anything to the colony. Do bees ever just decide to relocate? Or does anyone think that they may have been affected by this problem that has been killing the bees nationwide? I hate to see them go! I could walk straight up to the bird bath and fill it. I could slowly turn it over and empty it and clean it and they would buzz all around me and not ever sting me!

Comments (3)

Sponsored