Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
huge wasp-know what it is?

Posted by buttercupIA zone4 IA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 04 at 13:54

Someone told me about a bunch of huge wasps they were contending with...about 3 inches long, and I couldn't quite believe the story...then, yesterday I was looking at a ruby spice sweet shrub and saw, you guessed it, a huge wasp..black and yellow with large brownish wings - the lower body alone was an inch long and quite fat-pointed at the tail..black and smooth, with yellow stripes. I was surprised, though still not sure these are something to fear...anyone know what these are? Should I be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: huge wasp-know what it is?

They are insects and you can be concerned if you want. That's up to you. All kidding aside, I think your looking at a hornet.

Did it look like that?

o

No, it's not a hornet...I just looked up "largest wasp" and found that it was a female midwest cicada wasp...says they're around an inch and a half long...sure seemed bigger than that. They are normally not agressive, but can bite if threatened..or if pushed. They eat cicadas...so if there are more locusts than usual, more cicada wasps. See more pictures and information if you wish at: http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/helpcicadaresearch.html

o

• Posted by Zeke Iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 04 at 19:00

actually they dont "eat" cicadas they lay theiir lavae
in the body of a cicada and the larvae matures while in the cicada .
if you will go back a few pages you will find a similar thread about cicada killers and a picture of one.
Zeke

o

Well, thanks for the correction...I guess the little wasps eat the cicada then? Maybe they absorb it...sounds like science fiction....

o

Sounds like it would be a drag to be a Cicada.... :)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

If no-one has figured it out yet, this is not a wasp or hornet at all, but a moth! The hornet clearwing (Sesia apiformis) mimics a hornet but is of course totally harmless. However, it wants you to believe otherwise and leave it alone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here