Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mason bee nest box mystery

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 14:00

I have a mason bee next box hanging in my garden which they do use.

This year, in addition to the mason bees, there is something else nesting in the holes. I assume whatever it is has something further back in the tube and then plugs the hole not with mud but with folded over grass blades. They are a few inches long and extend into the hole, fold over the diameter of the hole and then stick back out, effectively a U shape for each blade. Sometimes they are twisted a bit.

Any ideas what bugs these are?

Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mason bee nest box mystery

It may be be the grass-carrying wasp. (Yes, I know that sounds as if I made it up, but it's true.) That wasp provisions its cells with snowy tree crickets.

A number of home gardeners here in the northern part of the Willamette Valley who keep mason bee nests have had them nesting in our tubes for several years.

Where do you live?

Look here https://www.google.com/search?q=grass-carrying+wasp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here is a link that might be useful: grass-carrying wasp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here