Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeunknown

What kind of bee is this??

BeeUnknown
18 years ago

We have an old brick patio connected to our house out back, underneathe is sand. Large bees have begun to burrow. I have to weed and mow around this patio and quite frankly these bees tend to deter me away from these chores. I have stood and watched them and one certain bee stays above the patio and sits and waits...when it sees any other flying insect come near it watches then chases it off (whether its causing a threat or not). Another even larger bee...(guessing its the queen)...I will sometimes see carrying a locust! Below is a picture of one of the bees.

{{gwi:432887}}
If anyone knows what kind of bee this is...please let me know! Thanks!

Comment (1)

• msce2
    18 years ago

For weeks I have been trying to find out the same thing. I have them all over my front yard. They have been a real nuisance.

According to the website www.masterbeekeeper.org/stinging/cicadakiller.htm

They are called Cicada Killer wasps (sphecius speciosus) aka Giant Cicada Killer, sand hornet.

The website provides some interesting information on their life cycle. It does say that although they are visually alarming these wasps pose little threat. Females are not agressive and rarely sting, unless excessively provoked. Males often display territorial behavior and will dive-bomb people's heads; however, they have no sting and pose no real threat. Cicada killers often nest in disturbed areas with sandy, open soils, such as lawns, golf courses, flowerbeds, volleyball courts and around swimming pools. A large population of wasps in one area can cause significant damage to lawns.

Management: Control is rarely needed, except when nests occur in undesirable locations. If control is needed, cultural methods may work best. Since these insects next in disturbed areas with little or no vegetation, take steps to encourage the growth of dense lawns. Place extra mulch in your flowerbeds and around shrubs to cover sandy soil. If necessary apply and approved insecticidal powder to the nest entrance at night when the wasps are in their burrows. Be sure to dress appropriately. Wear eye protection, a long sleeved shirt, pants and boots, secure your sleeves and pant legs. Establish an unobstructed escape route and be ready to move quickly away if any of the wasps fly towards you. If you require illumination, use a flashlight covered with red cellphane for light - wasps cannot see red. Treatment may need to be repeated several times if new wasps move into the area.

Sting reports vary from very mild to extremely painful. Be careful, insect stings can elicit a life-threatening allergic reaction in some individuals. Never attempt any control measure if you have a known allergy to insect stings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada Killer Wasps

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022