Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Jacket nest above front door (or is it honeybees?)

Posted by davidpots MD (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 19:31

I'm looking for some help in identifying the type of bee that is nesting above my kitchen door... I'm pretty sure it is either honeybees or yellow jackets, but aren't sure which of the two. As I understand, the resulting action I take may differ depending on the answer.

Here is a quick video I made of the nest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcLT9lXVoPI

And here's a picture of some of the bees:
http://img.skitch.com/20100829-by1qiwpa5qixc6rmkjrjprmy9w.png

We've noticed the bees around this part of the house for a few months, but they've never been a nuisance at all. Only recently did we pinpoint the exact origin of their coming & going -- it is a space where our exterior siding meets an overhang. This is directly above our kitchen door, which we use daily.

Though there hasn't been any aggression from the bees yet, I'd still rather catch this while it is early in case they end up nesting through our walls, etc. Any ideas on the ID of the bee? Lack of aggression and presence of fur (which I'm at least somewhat confident about) makes me think honeybee -- but I could be wrong of course.

Thanks!
-Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Jacket nest above front door (or is it honeybees?)

Yes, it looks like you have Yellow jackets..

o
RE: Yellow Jacket nest above front door (or is it honeybees?)

Agree...they don't have to be aggressive to be yellow jackets, I would
spray some wasp killer in there...perhaps you have to repeat several
times...quick spray and run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here