Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Idabean's bee report Aug 10

Marie Tulin
16 years ago

We checked in on the honey super today, and several frames were completely full. The queen had not made her way up there, so we added the queen excluder. Brought a frame in and scraped the honey off, propping the frame over a colander to drip into a bowl. We have a terrible ant investation, so I'm actually standing there watching for the invaders.

One of my mentor's customer's bees have been banned from another town; if she doesn't get them off her property in two weeks, they'll fine her 500 bucks a day. I'm going to keep them here; more bees for my garden and more instruction from an experienced beekeeper. I understand it is not illegal to keep bees, so the story may continue, but the bees are out of harm's way.

My bee-teacher says she sells 800 pounds of honey a year to someone who supplies it for beer making. Says it makes a wonderful ale. She also keeps llamas, and my next project is to get llama manure for my garden.

Who woulda thought?

marie aka idabean

Comments (8)

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

Marie, There's nothing like the first taste of honey from your hive, except maybe the 2nd 3rd 4th ect. Every time you have a spoonful, you'll be amazed at how good it is, especially knowing how it was made and that you had a small part in it all. I'd be interested to know more details about the town banning bees. Where is it? Was it because of a complaint?

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

for the moment the town's name has slipped myh mind. North of Lexington; I'll remember it momentarily. The story I heard is the area she lives is rather densely populated, and her hives were near the road. The people who complained were desribed in uncomplimentary terms, implying lack of education,lower class and looking for trouble. They got a petition going and collected 75 signatures because it claimed 'bees are attacking people in the area". I think it was Wilmington, MA. After the hive is moved, I think the owner and some others will push back legally, but not until the hive is safe.

In response, as I understand it, the town "banned bees." which I heard can't be done. It did, nevertheless.

I have a new neighbor who has proven fussy about the appearance of property. I keep quiet about the bees because I'm betting she'd worry about her child, although we are many hundred's of yards and trees away.

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

It's amazing how different people are. Our front yard is full of plants and wild flowers including flox and milkweed. I even planted buckwheat on one side. Our neighbors have grass that they cut at least twice a week and is never allowed to grow over 3/4" high. They pull up every dandelion they see in their yard. We can't wait for ours to come out so we can pick and cook the greens and the bees can forage on the flowers. Our front and backyards are buzzing with bees, wasps, butterflies and hummingbirds and we get along fine with the neighbors.

• honeyman46408
    16 years ago

"My bee-teacher says she sells 800 pounds of honey a year to someone who supplies it for beer making"

OH-MY what a waste of good honey !!

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

Honeyman, I agree. Although I occasionally like a taste of a good stout, I wouldn't want to use honey to make beer. Someone enquired about some honey last year for mead making. By the time they asked I had sold all of my bulk honey and the rest was in 1/2 and 1 lb jars (except for the 150lbs in buckets that we keep for our own use)

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello honeyman,
    it's fun to see who's lurking and what information excites people to comment. I agree, its not how i'd use my honey. But it helps keep a good beekeeper in business, so she can spend hundreds of hours without reimbursement helping new keepers get started.

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

We keep 2 of our hives in our town (pop. about 4,000), right in our back yard, near a busy state route. We live in a developed area, but make sure to give our nearest neighbors a jar of honey each Christmas......No complaints thus far (even though a Day Care for children is along that property line about 25-30 yards from the hives.) I even walked the Day Care owner right in front of the hives to show her the property line. She was really suprised at how docile they were.
    Since our hives are also near a busy highway, we get many folks stopping by to ask if we'd remove bees or if we sell our honey. (Knock on wood) no one has ever given us hell about our bees except to say they havent seen them out pollinating THEIR gardens! I tell them that they will get to theirs when they are done with mine. :)

Jackie

• runktrun
    15 years ago

Bee Keepers & Bee Keeper Wanna Bees...
    You Know who you are.
    We would love a 2008 update. I have been seeing a lot of bees that I think are honey bees. How is your year been? kt

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington