Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow jacket problem help

Posted by Bessboro Z4 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 21:13

Today while trimming a cedar hedge I upset a nest of yellowjackets. Luckily I only got stung once. I went back tonight at dark to try to spray them but the nest is so far in the hedge I can just barely see it but I couldn't see any entrance holes. SO how do I get out of this predicament as I still need to trim the hedge but not tomorrow. Thanks for some help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow jacket problem help

Does the nest you see look like it's made from a ball of gray paper? If so it's probably a hornet nest as yellow jackets live in the ground. Anyway, if they are above ground you can try a product call Decon which is specifically for wasps and hornets. It will shoot a stream of insecticide about 20'. I'd do it in the very late afternoon when all of the wasps/hornets are back in the hive. I'm not generally a proponent of insecticides but if it's a white faced hornet nest you don't want to get close to it and you need to get rid of it!!!

o

hmmm

This is a tough one. YJ stings hurt. Are you sure they are Yellow Jackets and not some other type of wasps? Yellow Jackets prefer to nest in the ground, but it's not unheard of for them to be in something else. If you can't get a good view of the nest, it will be hard to figure out the best way to get rid of it.

If you're trimming with electric, you might want to stop and switch to trimming it by hand to avoid making them upset. If possible, I would leave them alone, they won't make it through the winter, and then in the spring, you can just pull the old nest out.

If you really want to get it out, You're going to have to put on some protection and get into the hedge. You might consider calling an exterminator if the nest is really huge. Not worth getting stung repeatedly.

o

I went back at dark and shined a flashlight on the nest and a fewyellowjackets came out so I let them calm down fo about a half hour then it was really dark. I could see part of the nest but not the entry or exit holes and decided to give it a good shot of spray a good long shot and sure enough it got them which I am very thankful for. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here