Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bald-faced hornets

Posted by dettt Wisconsin (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 16, 06 at 22:23

I am hopng someone can help me. On saturday I cut down some box elder trees along our back lot line. Yesterday (tuesday) my wife noticed alot of black hornets crawling all over one of the stumps. It appears they are attracted to some kind of sap that is oozing out of the stump. Today I've learned they are bald-faced hornets. My question is how can I keep them away from the stump? My biggest concern is letting my three small children play in the back yard. Tonight at dusk I looked for a nest in my other trees but cannot see one. What can we do? Any help is appreciated.
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bald-faced hornets

If you are sure you have Bald-faced hornets, they build large paper nests that hang from the open in trees. They mainly eat nectar and fruit juices from holes pecked in fruit by birds. They are a dangerous insect as they can sting flying backwards. They are actually beneficial as they also eat damaging caterpillars. If you drench the tree stumps with a mixture of soap and citrus products it should drive them away. If by chance they are yellow jackets, they tend to have underground nests. Hornets have darker coloring than yellow jackets and have skinnier waists. Yellow jackets are yellow and black.

o
RE: Bald-faced hornets

It really is too bad that they are such a nuisance. They help control many nuisance pests. When we remove their hives in our bee suits it is quite interesting. The sound of a bald faced hornet hitting your veil at full speed is quite disconcerting, at times. We hardly get stung because of their hit-and-run tactics, plus, with the hive being aerial, they mainly aim for the head and shoulders which is where we generally have great protection. Yellow jackets, on the other hand, are rather irksome. Their numbers tend to be greater, they like to sit and sting, and they always aim low because of their subterranean hive location. I call them 'ankle-biters'. They like to work their way under my suit where it meets my boots and have fun in my socks. : ). A little advice, avoid the flight path, wear light-colored clothing, and if you have to work around them, choose the cooler periods of the day...dawn and dusk. The light colored clothing is helpful because it is not a recognized 'threat' color. Most threats they deal with are predominantly dark colored.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee removal site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here