Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
link to Newyorker article on honeybees

Posted by tonybeeguy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 23:11

Here's the link
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/06/070806fa_fact_kolbert

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/06/070806fa_fact_kolbert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: link to Newyorker article on honeybees

not a bad story, but what's the deal in calling Drones "filthy?"

o

Yeah, there were a few things I'd take issues with and a few I outright disagree with but overall it was interesting and informative. I've been interviewed a few times by local papers for various things like beekeeping and music and they never quite get the story right and always mix up some of the facts. such is life!

o

Is it true that we just know why smoking bees makes them calmer. Others say- maybe its just a theory or folklore- that they gorge on the honey and that makes them placid (if a bee can be placid)

Tony, just for my info. what do you question and outright disagree with?
Marie

o

Marie, Maybe the "loutish and filthy" drone comment was for dramatic effect(or an underlying guy bashing thing). I question a hive adding 75 lbs of honey in one week statement(maybe it's jealousy) I disagree as mentioned in another post about Italians having trouble producing enough honey for winter. Not all of my Italian packages produced surplus honey last year, but the three that did gave me well over 100 lbs of honey each, plus a full shallow super of comb honey. That was starting with 3 queens and 9 lbs of bees on almost all new foundation in the deeps and entirely all new foundation in the supers. I've heard various figures and have never counted three pounds of bees and will gladly be corrected if I'm wrong, but 3500/lb or 10,500 for a three lb package is the figure I've heard most often. I can't verify other facts stated, but I assume as a good reporter she did her homework. Her writing style was very enjoyable to read, and it was nice not to just have someone write about ccd and all bad news, but actually get out there and keep some bees with all of it's pitfalls and mostly pleasures, so I say congratulations to her. If you haven't read Bees in America, it's an interesting read by Tammy Horn that I'm currently into. It mostly follows the history of beekeeping in our country.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here