Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are they doing in my plant trays?

Posted by momamamo 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 12:33

Over the last 10 days or so, either yellow jackets or some kind of bee have been settling into the planted trays and pots I have in my garden. There are plenty of open areas in the garden itself for them to accumulate, but their preferences are 1-the individual cells within one divided tray; 2-a larger tray with no cells; 3-a round container. All are black plastic. The critters land on the various surfaces and seem to be attending to the soil (sterile potting mix) in each. They stay quite a while, particularly in the afternoon. They don't seem to be attracted to the seedlings in the trays. So, what are they up to? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are they doing in my plant trays?

could be they're suckling water. the bees use a large amount of water in warm weather.

o

I agree with the previous poster's comment. Most likely if there are some standing droplets of water or at least a significant moisture content present in the soil, then the bees (?wasps?) are probably going after the water.
Honeybees, as an example, frequently have an expressed interest in going after water that may seem odd to us. As an example, maybe perferring "dirty water" when "clean water" is nearby. The water you may see them working in a small mud puddle or in moist garden dirty contains some essential salts or minerals they need in their diet.

o

Then my little guys must be very happy. Today I saw even more than yesterday. The plant trays have been given kelp/fish emulsion fertilizers and that may account for the "dirty" part. The bees - I think they're honeybees - they're furry - are interesting to watch, and they leave me alone, which is good. Thanks much for your responses! Maureen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here