Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mason bees and late-season plants

Posted by NYCveggieGirl NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 13:29

Hi everybody! This is my first season keeping a garden and I quickly learned that my urban neighborhood has almost no pollinators for my plants. I tried to attract bees and butterflies without much luck, so I ordered some mason bees and a bee house for next year. Here's what I'm wondering: if mason bees hatch in the spring and live 6-8 weeks, then can I not grow any vegetables that require pollinators later in the summer? Is it possible to extend the hibernation cycle of some of the bees by keeping the cocoons cold or something? (Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm new at this:) Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mason bees and late-season plants

In my climate, the mason bees are completely done by the first days of June. In my vegetable garden, mason bees are useless. Anything that needs bees isn't blooming by the time the mason bees die. Squashes are all I can think of. Tomatoes and beans self-pollinate without any help. Even the Boysenberries' and Blackberries' blooming seaon barely overlaps with mason bee activity.
You can keep the hibernating bees in the fridge to delay hatching, but the longer you keep them in there, the more will die as their feul runs out. Although I have not experimented with this myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here