Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_17815_pa

Foundation Falls Down....

nick_17815_pa
15 years ago

I finally got another super on my one 8-frame hive. When I placed the foundation in the frames (I used wire-less foundation this time) I noticed that the wax bowed out a little bit, but I didn't think much of it. I bought the frame and foundation at the same time from the same company. I've never had to trim the wax before so I thought it would be fine. Well one week later I checked on the hive (i was away for a few days) things aren't good. The foundation must have collasped under the weight of the bees and fell off of all 8 frames. It looks as if the bees tried to make something out of it, but obviously there wasn't much they could do in it a week to fix that.....

I put together 8 more frames This time I trimmed just a little bit off the top of each foundation before setting them into the frame. I didn't have the same bowed look like the last time. I'm hoping that it was an issue with the size of the foundation and not the fact that there it isn't wired.

I was able to get the bees off the old foundation and I have the frames sitting on top of one of the hives which I plan to take before nightfall. I am guessing there is nothing I can do with the broken foundation other than candles or something like that for myself. Is there any was to give it to the bees so they can use it?

I'm hoping I did the right thing by taking the frames and messed up foundation out as soon as I saw it. There was a lot of bees in that section (above the excluder) that ended up in the cardboard box where I initally put the frames in. After a few hours they made there way out of the box, and I'm hoping back into their home

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz