Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you tell a yellow jacket from a bee by sight?

Posted by rthummer 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 15:34

Please help. We had yellow jackets that were in the ground, swarm and sting my husband, as he was bushhogging the fields. Or was it yellowjackets? Now I am beginning to wonder. How can you tell the difference by sight? I don't want to kill bees, but I have been stung several times this summer, from what I believe to be yellowjackets. The sting from a bee is not bad, but a sting from a yellowjacket goes on and on and on. It really hurts, right? Is a yellowjacket larger than a bee? Is there any sure fire way to tell what you are looking at? Do yellowjackets have any purpose except eat rotted fruit and small insects? If not, I plan to kill them all!!! Will someone please help me out here, so I will know what is around my deck and gazeebo? Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you tell a yellow jacket from a bee by sight?

• Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 17:18

yellow jackets are bald, and have a pinched waist

o

If they're in the ground, they're not likely to be honeybees (especially in your part of the country).
I'd say, get rid of 'em!

For photos, go to Google (I'm sure the same would work for Yahoo and other search engines), click on the "Images" selection above the search box, type in 'yellowjacket' and search; then do the same for the word 'honeybee' (make sure you're still in the "Images" selection). As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words.

o

Thanks to you both. Well, I have yellow jackets. My husband has found another hole in the field where they are comming out. We know how to get rid of them. I just wanted to make sure that why I ask. Thanks a bunch for the help.

o

And curiosity has got the best of me.
What technique will you use to get rid of them?
--
My technique would be to simply dump some Sevin Dust in the hole just at dark (assumming you're not adverse to the use of chemicals).

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 16:48

Or, if you can avoid the area for a while, simply wait until winter when the colony will die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here