Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Lots of bees in my yard. How to rent space to beekeeper?

Our acreage is buzzing! We have so many bees, it's tough to walk out there, but we don't want to bee keep. Any solutions to this? Is there a way to lease our land to a beekeeper?

Comments (14)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Tha'ts good when it's buzzing, why do you want more bees, there must be beekeepers not far from you, one can put too many hives up, makeing it harder to find pollen and nectar.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Konrad,
    I wonder if the poster was thinking a bee keeper would be able to remove the bees from their property and take them elsewhere. It didn't sound as if they wanted more bees.

Martha

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Could be, the poster doesn't mention of any hives.
    How can you remove bees from a buzzing place?
    To remove bees, one needs to locate the hive.
    Perhaps the poster doesn't know that.

....they have allot of bees but are asking...

>> Is there a way to lease our land to a beekeeper? >>How to rent space to beekeeper?Leasing out their property to a bee keeper will get them more hives and bees.

Leasing out, or rent space to beekeeper is meant long term,.. in my neck of the woods, picking up some bees can be done in a couple of hours.

• alblancher
    10 years ago

Find a local bee club. You should be able to post an opportunity on their website. There are often city bound beeks looking for hive space. I wouldn't expect to make a considerable amount of money, maybe a couple of quarts of honey every year unless you have a special location. If you have mild winters and a large enough area to handle a hundred hives there may be a migratory beek looking for a place to keep bees when not on a pollination contract.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I reread the original post, and it sounds to me as if they want a beekeeper to bring an empty hive and take the bees away. S/he is looking for a "solution" to the problem because it's "tough to walk out there". Hard for some of us to understand, but it may be that they have allergies to bee stings or a childhood history of unpleasant stinging experiences. Unfortunately, even if someone were able to take some of the bees away, new hordes would find their way to such an inviting location.

Martha

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

The title say's...
    >>How to rent space to beekeeper?This is how I understand it..
    Renting space for bee keeper on their property, ..this would be in exchange of money. You're right about the problem with too many bees but they figured if bees are in boxes it might reduce the problem, not so. I do think that someone nearby has put up hives.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for the confusion. We have tons of rosemary, in bloom always, fruit trees, citrus and summer blooming trees and plants. We have room for a few of hives, and was wondering how to find a beekeeper who would put a couple hives on our property for a trade of some honey. Win win! We have 1.5 acres. You can't walk outside without hearing the buzz!

I fear bees and do not wish to become a beekeeper. Just would like to trade some space for a jar of honey!

Suzi

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Sure you can...
    Find out about your local bee club,..allot of bee keepers or wan a bee's are looking for a place to put hives. Bee prepared for several visits from keepers during the year. 1.5 acres is not much land to be private.

But..
    It's not solving your problem with too many bees, it's actually getting worse when you bring in more hives, most likely, ...when your yard is buzzing as you say, someone else close by has hives already.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! My google search provided nothing but bee removal locally. There is a lot of farming and ranching here, but I haven't seen one hive. We live on a steep, rocky hillside on the edge of the wilderness, so maybe there are hives hiding behind or in boulders!

No one even sells honey locally. Strange.

You have been very helpful!

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

Beekeepers charge to put hives on your property, they actually make more money renting hives than they do on the honey. Last check years ago, the going rate was about 35 bucks a hive. There may be an amateur beekeeper in your area willing to do it for free but i doubt anyone would pay you for the privilege. If there are already lots of bees on your property, what's the point adding hives?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well beachbums, there is not one bee keeper in our town or surrounding area. Just a ton of bees.

I am not interested in keeping bees, but just thought I'd swap space for honey. Guess from your post that isn't done. I'll just buy Sue Bee! Fine for me!

• Kerry.D
    10 years ago

Hive space for honey is done all the time. Go on bee source forum post under wanted. Put your town; letting the bee keeper decide how many hives to place may give you more response

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure, a newbie keeper is willing in exchange of some honey.

>>Our acreage is buzzing! We have so many bees, it's tough to walk out thereAs said before, no sense bringing in more bees when it's buzzing already,..it just makes it harder for [all] bees to feed themselves,..too many bees/hives.

Also, it will get harder to walk

• kazyaka
    10 years ago

Most of the beekeepers in your area want making money not really spend it. Pollination in cali is big money. You can check your local beekeeping asso. for a new beekeeper. More than likely they don't want to spend money either. you can put an and in the paper or craigslist that might help.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer