Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilano

Bees or wasps in ground in backyard?

marilano
16 years ago

I recently discovered (in mid-August) a ground nest or hive of either bees or wasps (or possibly yellow jackets). They're in the ground between an impatiens and a daylily; they fly out when I water that area of the yard. They seem to go straight for my hair--which is scary--although I haven't been stung yet (and one went up my blouse sleeve and came into the house before I realized it--but didn't sting). I seem to have more of them every day, although so far only about a dozen fly around when I water. I'm not sure if they're bees--which I definitely wouldn't want to kill given the bee shortage--or wasps, or yellow jackets. They aren't very big--about 1/2 inch long. Any ideas? Most of the postings above say that ground bees go away in early summer--whatever my insects are, they only appeared in mid-August and are increasing in number now that it's early to mid-September. Any ideas about what species they might be and whether it would be safe or risky to dig up the hole? TIA for any replies. marilano

Comments (5)