Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
insomniac823

Thirsty Bees

insomniac823
16 years ago

Thirsty Bees

Hello All,

Several years ago when I moved into this house I was working in the garage when all of the sudden there appeared dozens of bees in the garage with me. Startled by the appearance and magnitude of these bees the thought raced through my head, (I wonder if I am allergic to bee stings, and what is the number to 911?)

The bees did not seem to have any interest in me while I made my way to the leaf blower that I had just unpacked. They were between me and my exit so my strategy became clear, plug in the blower and give them a one way ride, which I did. When the last of them were somewhere outside the confines of my garage I closed the door and headed for the shower electing to finish the work in the garage another day.

Years later I spent huge amounts of money re-doing the back yard with tropical plants and a pool complete with decorative rocks. I made certain that I eliminated anything from the back yard that would attract wasp or bees.

Three years ago I noticed a couple of honey bees occasionally drinking (I assume that is what they are doing) from the moisture on the mortar between the rocks. Last year the number increased to a half dozen at a time and last year each of us has been stung at least once as well as some of our guest. The good news is that no one to date was allergic to bee stings; the bad news is that I have not found a way to discourage them from bee-ing there.

This last year they have been visiting my pool in numbers exceeding a dozen and are in fact aggressive. If you are in the pool anywhere, they will buzz you. A few days ago I was not even close to where they congregate and a couple of them attacked me, hitting me in the head and stinging my back.

I appreciate the sensitivity of this group and I too have actually rescued the little buggers (no pun intended) from the water when the have fallen in but, they have to go. There is no nest in or around my house, I have checked. I called an exterminator for help and he sent me to a bee keeper. The beekeeper was unwilling to help as there is not a hive on my property; they are most likely living in some tree somewhere or someoneÂs house.

One beekeeper suggested that I cover my pool. The options are simple, either I find a way to remove them without hurting them or I will find a way to exterminate them one by one.

I am posting to this group because you guys know how to do this without doing damage to them (I hope).

This is my last gasp of being nice towards these unwelcome guests.

Any help or ideas would bee appreciated!

Bewildered,

Scott

Comments (3)

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

Scott, I don't have a definitive answer, but I see no one else has responded, so I'll give it my best shot. Bees do need a source of water so that's probably it. In general, honey bees aren't aggressive away from the hive. My neighbors poo'l is less than 50 yds from 6 of my hives and no one has ever been stung or even bothered, but this doesn't help your situation. You might check with a county extension service and ask if there are feral AHB in your area. If so they might point you in the right direction for taking care of the problem.

• russh_nepa
    16 years ago

I agree with Tony. Bees need a source of water. My bees come to my water garden by the dozens on most days to sit at the edge and drink. I have sat next to them for hours with them showing absolutely no interest in me. Then again I live in PA. I am not an expert on Africanized bees. I thought that they were only aggresive around the hive, but I'm not sure.

My bees definately prefer the water garden to my swimming pool. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a bee in my pool. They seem to be attracted to the natural setting of the water garden. I'm not suggesting that you install a water garden, but if you provide an alternate water source, bird bath, etc. they may leave the pool alone.

If you do decide to destroy the foraging bees, well you probably are in for an uphill battle. First foragers are the most expendable of the bees. Many die of natural causes and simply never return to the hive. It does little harm to the colony. However, there are always replacements ready to take their place. You could never kill enough bees one by one to reduce their numbers.

Finding the colony is the best bet. It is likely pretty close if your pool is their water source. Keep your eyes open. Try to follow their flight path. Then call the state for help.

Russ

• cpp6318
    16 years ago

I'll start by letting you know that I'm a rank amature in beekeeping as this is my first year. By all means listen to others first. However, I keep my bees on irrigated pasture and I happened to notice that when the water was close to where the hive is, the bees don't go out and push to the outskirts of the property. When my irrigation water is at the other end of the place, I see bees travelling further to water. If you can get a sense of which dirrection they are coming from, a bucket of water with some wood chips to keep them from drowning placed somewhere between your home and the hive might keep them from coming back.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH