Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow jackets in the ground

Posted by gailuvscats 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 19:12

I have a ground nest of yellow jackets. ( I think, they are small and look to be yellow, but don't land on anything so I can't determine exactly.) anyhoo, I don't intend to disturb them, but should I do something to get rid of the nest in the winter? will they return?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow jackets in the ground

We're pretty well at the end of yellow jackets peak, when cold sets in you should be fine and most likely are dead come spring.

Konrad

o

thanks. I am concerned that they will use the nest again next spring, or summer, and I would like to prevent that since it is right next to the sidewalk, and they get agitated if you stand in front of it, which I frequently do to tend to plants. should I try to fill it in with something organic that they can't drill through. It is in a big bed of Ivy under a huge norway spruce, but the entrance hole is very obvious when they start flying in and out, which they do like crazy if you are three feet from it. They haven't bitten me though, they just buzz past me front and back at a furious rate. They encourage me to move out of the way. I don't know how they figure I am standing there in the direct line of flight.

o

Sure...fill in the hole early spring , a slurry of soil water mix.
You probably need a couple of re-fills after drying up.

Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here