Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

So few comments on CCD report- wondering why

Marie Tulin
16 years ago

I've been wondering why there have been only 2 comments about the CCD report. I realize it does not give a solution, but I thought there might some observations, opinions, dismissals, thoughts about future hive management.

I've only been posting a few months, and have just an inkling about a few interests or personalities of fellow posters. I certainly don't take only a few responses personally, but is the forum so small and beekeepers so busy that there isn't time to comment?

I thought the report was thought provoking because it identified bees from Australia and Israel as probable vectors. Insect epidemiology, how interesting...Also, seemed to validate another popular suppositon, that moving hives all over the place for pollination is a major stressor and may make hives more susceptable to infection.

Comments (7)

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

idabean, That's a good question. I've read the summaries and printed out a lot of the recent reports, but haven't sifted through it all. Maybe I haven't panicked yet because we haven't seen any cases locally or nearby. Around here and in our club there are mostly beekeepers with a couple of hives in the backyard. A couple of us have 10 or more and probably only one club member with over 20.He is the only one I know of that moves any hives for pollinating and it's just two hives, and his are the only ones there. In our area if a farm wants hives for pollination we'll just make a deal and put a few hives there year round for a fee. It's great that they are spending some money and doing valuable research into CCD. Maybe it will branch off into some other interesting discoveries too

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Tony,
    You are one the few beekeepers I feel like I'm getting to know! A welcoming and gracious fellow. I don't know about "panicked\" though I imagine you use it as a figure of speech. But clearly you have some curiosity and sense of inquiry. I think I expected just some comments or recognition that something was happening out there regarding the problem!
    Marie

• cpp6318
    16 years ago

Hi Marie,
    First and formost, thank you for sharing your information on ccd.
    I'm just getting started in the world of beekeeping. I read your post as something to keep in mind but not to think about long enough to come up with a real opinion. I work as an artificial insemenation technician on a 10,000 cow dairy. All day long I'm hit with "something to be aware of" and "things to keep in mind" and they ussually relate to a disaster of some sort. I have learned to keep my head down and let the chips fall where they may and hope for a positive outcome or wait until there is actually something that I can change to avoid trouble.
    In addition, I use bees as a way of shutting down my brain and focussing on something else for a while. It's still a study of animal behavior but different enough that I can forget about cows for a while. I don't like to dwell on problems in my little beekeepingwonderland...especially if I can't do anything about them. I think alot of people who keep a few hives kind of feel the same way.
    Thanks again though for the information. It will be filed away for later use in a conversation with someone else escaping reality or in trying to save my thousand hive beekeeping business from the brink of disaster at the hands of ccd... whichever comes first.

• greco
    16 years ago

Here in North Central Florida where I live we've lost 3 out of our 4 hives. One of my husbands cousins has lost 75 out of one hundred hives. Needless to say he was in the pollination business. Anyway I suppose this is also what is killing off the hives in Europe too.

• ccrb1
    16 years ago

I publish MidWest Beekeeper, and the September issue was held up for a couple of weeks, for this breaking news. (This issue was released today). But the news about IAPV is not about cause, it's only coincident right now.

I expect the researchers are injecting healthy hives right now to see if IAPV precipitates a collapse.

Indiana, according to the DNR, see our current issue at the link below, has no confirmed cases of CCD. Nada.

Yes, we're red on the map that's published, but those are more or less anonymous reports submitted by Internet.

One commercial beekeeper in upper mid Indiana says he didn't have CCD while is coworker sister says they did. But neither bother to call in the Apiary inspector.

In the July issue of Midwest Beekeeper, (again, a free download) a Michigan beekeeper, mentioned my name, was interviewed by the press, and declared CCD was in his hive he showed the reporter because there was no brood. THIS is just a classic case of queenlessness. The beekeeper was completely irresponsible in saying it was CCD (where there is plenty of brood and a shortage of workers) and I suspect he was only interested in getting his name and photo in the paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free download - MidWest Beekeeper

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ccrbl,
    Thanks for the lead to Midwestern Beekeeper. It is very informative. Would you continue to post the link on this forum? I know I would read it, but might not remember to seek it out on my own.

And thanks to other who took a minute to respond. I don't feel like I sent information out into space now.
    marie

• ccrb1
    16 years ago

Idabean,

We don't have subscribers, we just make it available, and yes, I'll post it's arrival each time, here, and other places too.

Sorry I've not responded promptly to you... I'm quite overwhelmed with what I have to do.

But my bees are fine. :-)

Sponsored