Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morar_gw

Exterminators vs. beekeepers false dichotomy

morar
19 years ago

Okay, I've read many times on this forum, 'don't consult exterminators; find a beekeeper'. I sought help to remove bees earlier this summer and that was the message. I then spent the summer looking for a beekeeper in this area. Eventually I found one, who said he didn't have time and didn't know anyone who would remove them so late in the season. Finally, I gave up and called an exterminator. I explained my concerns and they immediately said, 'but we have our own beekeeper on staff'. So don't assume that the extermination company is the enemy; if they are a big enough outfit, they may just have a beekeeper.

Comments (8)

• treebeard
    19 years ago

It should also be noted that finding a beekeeper willing to remove bees or catch a swarm isn't always as easy as picking up the phone. Sometimes just finding a beekeeper can be a trial. I've heard many a tale of folks trying to do what is perceived to be the right thing, only to find that local beekeepers either have no interest, or no time, or no equipment in which to install the bees. Sometimes, saving the bees isn't going to happen.

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

Indeed, I have to kill bees in a tree on Sunday. But none of this should have taken months. Beekeepers are not uncommon. The Kourtright Conservation Center in Woodbridge even had a class in beekeeping.

• morar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I didn't know about the Kortwright connection. Perhaps they would have a contact down here, but I couldn't find one. Beekeepers sure don't advertise in this area. I was pleased to find that calling the exterminator was all I needed to do to find a beekeeper!

• Merops_apiaster
    19 years ago

"who said he didn't have time and didn't know anyone who would remove them SO LATE in the season".
    Was this man a beekeeper or a beehaver? Removing swarms "so late in the season" is not so interesting as in the spring, but I think that the beekeeper has to save all the hives or swarms he can.

• morar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm just quoting him. I think there may be a diversity of thought, commitment, time and energy among beekeepers -- in this area anyway. I haven't found the purists yet!

• David51
    19 years ago

Here in Connecticut each town has a list of local beekeepers who are willing to capture swarms and where they are willing to go ie.surrounding towns, also where they wil remove them from, trees, sides of houses etc. I would hope other states also maintain such lists. Also if one beekeeper can't or wont capture the swarm I am sure he/she will know someone who will.

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

Toronto is different, I think. Today I brought home a small swarm that will not survive the winter, but I have an angry colony and I'd be content to add this one and perhaps this queen would win the fight. These guys were gentle hanging in the tree.

Yesterday I got a call that said, "I have a swarm hanging off the end of a long branch 35 feet in the air. What should I do?" and I replied, "Wave goodbye."

It was pointed out that a pole and a bucket could be a safe way to retrieve bees too high for a ladder, or a shotgun (I should point out that I no longer live in Canada, where an unregisted gun is a criminal offense now -- sigh) ... the more I thought about a bucket on a 25 foot pole, the more I could see bees landing on my head with a thud.

• tarheit
    19 years ago

I know many beekeepers who don't do swarm calls or removals due to time, extra equipment needed, risk, inexperience, etc. Even more so in areas where africanized honey bees are found. Plus many have found no real incentive to do it. I've had several calls where the caller was shocked it wouldn't drive 2 hours, spend several hours extracting a hive that may carry disease, and would not be productive or even survive the winter once removed without significant help, all for the privilege of getting 'free' bees. They would rather pay an exterminator than the beekeeper (even though my rates are much, much lower than in areas where this service is common (florida for example). I simply wish them luck and send them on their way. In the end, these 'free' bees cost me as much as getting a package of healthy bees of known genetics when I want them delivered to my door. Hence I have to charge to cover time, travel, equipment, etc.

Hence, most beekeepers I know don't bother with more than a nearby swarm, and sometimes not even that. Removals do require extra equipment a beekeeper may not already have, plus in some states it requires a special license and I think even additional insurance.

I do know several exterminators around me won't handle bees, but will refer you to a beekeeper who will. But don't expect it for free.

Sponsored