Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
use of wd40

Posted by morar z5toronto (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 04 at 20:48

We own a summer place in an eastern Ontario farming community and we have heard out there about the use of WD40 to eradicate bees that can't be moved -- I wonder if bees would go back to a hive that was covered with oil? Would oil be helpful as a deterent to subsequent swarms once a hive has been removed (hopefully alive)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: use of wd40

an efficient and legal way to kill bees is with water and detergent, real sudsy.

I used to live up there (Toronto, Aurora) but now I'm way to far to come up and do a removal. Check with a local beekeeper association about who can do a removal. Spraying with WD40 which is highly flammable, could be very unwise.

Perhaps you can tell us exactly where the bee hive is. Are you sure they're honeybees? Because if they are, you can't simply spray something... the comb, and the honey have to be removed. And, in my case, I take the bees and the brood out alive too.

The only deterent to a new swarm moving in would be to close up the entrance and/or completely fill the cavity with insulation.

o

• Posted by morar z5toronto (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 8, 04 at 23:45

I am not having a bee problem at the moment -- I just had two yellow jacket ground nests removed, but I am the author of the 'bee horror stories' thread of a month ago. I just wondered if WD40 would help prevent bees from returning to a hive -- but if it caused a house to burn down that would be 'overkill'! I am also the author of 'beekeeper exterminator false dichotomy' thread this week -- so I did find a beekeeper -- but only after contacting an exterminator and discovering they had one on staff. I sure didn't get help from the Beekeepers' Association of Ontario person I contacted.

o

• Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 10, 04 at 23:33

Well, associations can be disappointing. I'm sorry you didn't get help. Although I used to live there, I only started keeping bees down here in Indiana. I try to help anyone who calls and I often end up driving miles and miles to find a paper wasp nest.

Honestly, the best repellent is to seal the area. And fill the cavity with an immovable solid - such as cellulose or foam. Fibreglas would probably not be as good.

Any repellent would either be toxic in its own right, or smell awful -- or both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here