Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silly question, is this common practice

Posted by fairy_toadmother z5 ncentral il (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 05 at 21:14

i was reading in _________ magazine about honey and beekeeping. i have never read this here, but they mentioned a beekeeping practice and my curiosity is up. it stated that some keepers cut the queens wings or kill the queen if she isn't or no longer produces(larvae) up to par and/or quota.

really, i am not trying to start any wars with p***, just curious...
thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silly question, is this common practice

What you describe is fairly common practice. Queen honeybees are "livestock" just like any other swine, cattle, chickens, etc.
Clipping a wing is used to mark/identify the queen and her age. I don't do it anymore but when I did, I used sharp baby fingernail scissors. Frequently nowadays a coloured paint mark is placed on the queen's thorax to identify her age. There is a different colour for different years so her age is known to the beekeeper.
A queen can live for four or five years but she is most highly productive during the first year or two. After that, many beekeepers will remove her and replace her with a new young vigorous queen. This is done in consideration of the overall health and welfare of the honeybee colony.

o

Definitely a common practice. Beekeepers re-queen anytime they don't like what's happening for the most part. If they feel the workers are too aggressive, they will re-queen to get different genetics. If she's not laying properly, she gets replaced. Some replace as a matter of course every two years for optimal brood rearing.

Wing clipping is for ID as well as preventing her from flying away with a swarm. Sometimes however the workers will see a clipped wing as a defect and replace her with a new queen themselves.

o

very interesting! thanks to both of you for the info.
may your hives always present a heavy yield :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here