Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krb7694

Is it practical (safe) for me to have Bees.

krb7694
17 years ago

I live in town. I live on about a one acre lot. I have a very large fenced in backyard. I have a few ducks, a few bantie chickens & one guinea. We live in my wife's old grandparents house. Her Grandaddy used to have bees about 10 years ago. I am interested in Beekeeping. My question is: I have neigbors. They are all older people. They all love my ducks, chickens & especially my rooster! They also have gardens. Is the city a bad place to keep bees?

I do not want the bees to become a nuisance or anything or sting my neighbors!

If I knew how to post pics I would show you a pic of my backyard.

Comments (17)

• thisbud4u
    17 years ago

Well, I'm no expert, but your location does sound risky. If your neighbors all have gardens, the bees will be visiting them in force, and it's pretty inevitable that someone will get stung. In my neck of the woods, there are laws governing how much land you must have to maintain a beehive. You don't say where you live, so I can't say if you'd be violating the law or not, but you should definitely check this out.

• txbeeguy
    17 years ago

From my somewhat limited experience with city ordnances governing beekeeping, I'd be inclined to say that an acre-sized lot would most likely allow for a hive or two, but do check out this aspect. Neighbors can cause problems (even IF you're legal); most cities have nuisance animal control laws which they try to apply in favor of the complaining neighbor. Best advise I have, is "outta sight, outta mind". Don't go around advertising the fact that you now have beehives on your property - some people will react as if you're now keeping "pet rattlesnakes"! There are very gentle strains of honeybees that (properly managed) would not cause any problems. Mostly now, you need to start reading about how to keep bees and get yourself a mentor.

• huzzah
    17 years ago

Beekeeping can be enjoyed by humans in a city or anywhere else.
    Honeybees will fly up to several miles away if they find a good source for nectar or pollen there.
    One key is to have a fence or some other barrier in front of the hive to direct their flight path upward and over the neighbors.
    honey bees are reluctant to sting.
    "Beekeeping for Dummies" among other books, is a great book to get started.
    Most areas have groups of beekeepers that meet periodically and are always glad to welcome newcomers.

• thedrone
    17 years ago

I have less than an acre in a residential area and have had from 2 to 8 hives here for 15 years. No stinging problems at all. One neighbor complained that they were drinking from his swimming pool.I jokingly told him that I would pay for the water they drank. This however can be a major problem. Bees like pool water probably because of the salts in the chemcals. All the books say bees need a supply of fresh water. In my experience they prefer water that has stood a while. A trace of salt added would help.
    lots of luck, the drone

• tomatobob_va7
    17 years ago

I'm a first-year beekeeper living on less than 1/2 acre downtown. I have two hives. Before my bees came I visited my immediate neighbors to tell them I had bees coming. I told them I was getting Italian bees, noted for being non-aggressive. They were more interested than fearful. Most asked if they could have some of the honey. After a summer, no one has yet told me one of my bees stung them. (And how would they know? No license plates on bees, and many folks call yellow jackets bees.) I picked squash and pumpkin blossoms all summer, getting in the bees' way frequently, and was never stung.
    Certainly you should look into laws and city ordinances where you live, and I strongly agree that you should do something to get the bees' line of flight from the hive up above foot traffic. Mine are on the flat roof above our kitchen.
    I've enjoyed my first year of beekeeping. While not a how-to manual on beekeeping, Robbing the Bees is a fascinating read.

• RonC
    17 years ago

I can't remember the scientific name, but there is a wild bee that polinates and only requires a block of wood with, I think, 3/8" holes drilled into it about 3"
    Anybody familiar with this critter; seems it might be the way to go without the fuss of honey bees?

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

If you have chickens and a guinea, 'bee' careful, they love to eat bees!

• ccrb1
    17 years ago

Two beekeepers with chickens and guineas I know say this is not a problem...

• longhunter1769
    17 years ago

id check the zoneing rules and if its ok then i would advise your neighbors and go for it.
    Chuck

• alamobeeman
    17 years ago

I live in DEEP south Texas with the AHB and our local codes allow for up to 5 hives per residental lot, providing they do not exhibit AHB traits as determined by annual Animal Control inspections. The county of Hildalgo Texas has no limit on number of hives, only AHB control. I moved into a 1/2 acre subdivision last fall and have a waiting list for honey from neighbors. Good luck.

• sqftgarden_in_wnc
    17 years ago

ronc,
    Interesting idea about the wild bee setup. Wonder where more info could be found. I live in town and am less worried about what my neighbors would think and more worried about what the neighborhood boys would do to a hive. Anyone have inconspicuous setups that kind of blend in or are camoflauged? I don't keep bees but would really like to. I love fresh honey!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    17 years ago

Bees are like M&Ms for Guineas! Our chickens don't bother our honeybees and we have one hive about 30feet from the coop.

Annette

• tonybeeguy
    17 years ago

Yes it is definitely possible and practical. The first thing as said is check ordinances and talk to neighbors. I live in town with houses on either side, a driveways width apart. I have About 40 ft of frontage. My backyard is about 60 long and is ideal in that it is partly level then slopes uphill and faces south. I have 4 hives at the top of the hill,with the nieghbors yard from the next street back to back with mine. My bees fly mostly right over my rooftop, and have never been a nuisance to anyone in the neighborhood.There are woods nearby and lots of basswood trees and general good forage and one hive produced over 100 lbs of honey last year. Most people wouldn't know I have hives if I didn't tell them. I have an electric fence due to the nearby woods and signs about the beeyard and electric fence posted on the fence to keep the curious kids at bay. The only problem I've had was young boys throwing rocks at the hive. I talked to their parents and them about the good that bees do and also the danger to them if they tipped over a hive, and I gave them a taste of comb honey. They became curious and now sometimes watch from a distance while I work the hives and wonder why the bees don't sting me.One even donned a veil with parental permission to get a little closer(but not too close) look at what I do. It has worked out so much better than yelling at them or calling the cops would have. The bottom line is give it a try. It can be an educational experience for all in your neighborhood. By the way,less than a quarter mile down the road from me off the main rt through town, 2 other members of our club have 7 more hives so that's over a half million bees during the summer peak with no complaints ever. good luck and happy beekeeping Tony

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

M&M's for guineas, that's funny!!

• lindamarie
    17 years ago

Do you know of any beekeepers here in MS that maybe interested in removing a swarm of honeybees?

• lanternboy
    17 years ago

I was thinking about honey bees a few years back and then I discovered Mason bees. They pollinate better then honey bees and I've never been stung. They are cool to watch also. I use 2x6's and drill a 5/16 hole about 5 1/2" deep. Lots of info online about these cool little critters!!!! Unless the honey is what you're after, cause they can't help you there.
    Enjoy

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County